Friday, August 10, 2007

Teeth and Tantrums

How's that for catchy! I'm sorry it's been so long since you got your update, but we've been busy. Well, busy is a very relative term. I haven't been getting anything done, per say, but I've been really busy not getting it done!

I think, honestly, the reason I haven't been blogging is because while my fabulous MIL and FIL were here, I got really, really spoiled. I need another 9 hands just to keep up with BBJ! She's into everything. She empties shelves faster than I can turn around. Mind you, the things are there for her to empty - it's my way of keeping her occupied while I try to scrabble something together for dinner! What I didn't forsee was the speed with which she could empty a shelf and then become bored by what was all over the floor! I was super spoiled with my in-laws here to catch her and prevent the most life-threatening of her little adventures. (She's fearless! She dives off the couch head first...on purpose! How do you teach a BBJ like that?)

And she learned how to throw tantrums. She sits on the floor, pumping her little arms up and down, screaming. If I'm in the kitchen, she crawls up the back of my legs, latches on with her arms, and wails. I can't turn, I can't walk, I can't even look at her! It's a body bind! (I may have found a quick-fix for the kitchen tantrums, though - if I put her in her high chair, in the kitchen, where she can see what I'm doing, I get a few moments of peace! Turns out the puppy is inquisitive!)

Oh, and on the way to the airport on Tuesday, to send MaMa and Yeh Yeh on their way, MaMa noticed a new little tooth poking out of BBJ's lower gum. If you look in the pictures, you can see it, peeking out on (her) left side of her bottom teeth. BBJ never let me get close enough to notice it before! She's kind of territorial about her...face.

This is BBJ putting her teeth to some good work on this slice of processed cheese product.




On Thursday, one of LouhGung's bosses sponsored a slam-banging good-time party at his little (read: gorgous, huge, amazing, did I mention gorgeous) home away from home. BBJ enjoyed her first ferry ride to get there, relishing the wind! LouhGung enjoyed playing volleyball and eating cheese and crackers. I reveled in the attention lavished on my little BBJ by all the newly-marrieds and soon-to-be marrieds of the Asian Persuasion! She's quite the poster child!



I think my little girl is starting the process of moving from Mom as Main Food Source to Mom on an As-Needed Basis. She nursed before we left (1:30) and didn't ask for it until we got home (8:30 pm). The funny thing was, that morning, I was thinking to myself about the things I've read about weaning, how Mom can feel useless when the child decides she is no longer a food source. I thought, "Goodness! I'm so glad that I'm not hung up on something silly like that. If she'd rather eat squash than me, more power to her! Squash is a sustainable resource and someone else can feed it to her!" By 7:30 that night, I was singing a different tune. I realized that, had I not been around for the past 6 hours, she would have been just fine. I'm not sure I'm ok with this. I am indispensable! I am absolutely necessary! I am the only one who can comfort her when she's peckish!

Turns out I was wrong. A few sips of Propel, a few sips of water, a few licks of a popsicle, 9 pretzels, 6 japanese rice crackers, 8 grape sections and 7 rotini noodles will see her through just fine, thankyouverymuch. Hmph.

(Today, she made it up to me. She ate four bites of watermelon, two bites of baby food, half a slice of cheddar cheese and 8 bites of rice. Total. The rest was all me, baby!)

Oh, and my niece, apparently, is pregnant. Don't ask me. Oddly enough, she does a very good impression of what her own mother looked like when she was pregnant with the little princess!

1 comment:

  1. I just caught up on the last month or so of posts and I must say that Teah is more endearing than ever- even while terrorizing her sweet mother.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!