Friday, January 4, 2008

In the which our trip flashes before your eyes

Ok, so I promised pictures when we got back, did I not? And we are back, are we not?

(Can I please say first how unbelievably happy I was to see 48 on the themometer when I woke up this morning? That's a good 20 degrees warmer than the climate I just left, and I have been reveling all day!)

So, let's get on with the pictures, shall we? (Because, let's face it - you're not here to hear me talk! I noticed a distinct drop off in traffic these past two weeks!)

To get us started, here is BBJ in a photo shoot, at home, before our trip. That's the apron I bought her for her birthday a few months ago.


BBJ, if we're going to go on this trip, you're going to have to carry your own weight around here, alright? None of this 'daddy, carry me and all my stuff' griping, alright? **Ok, no, we didn't really make her carry anything. She was too good at getting the backpack off!

Once we arrived in SLC, it was time for the real fun to start - video games!



Oh, and did I mention that we played with DDR while we were there? And BBJ loved to sit on Grandma's lap and watch us dance? Did I tell you that she climbed off of YehYeh's lap the next night, in the middle of a football game, and started grooving out on the mat? She now has two dances under her belt that she made up all by herself! One is "dance dance" (or "shake your booty" in layman's terms.) Hardly unique, but awfully cute with a diapered little booty like hers! The next is to "step step step." That's where the DDR mats come in, although she is not picky about where she performs this dance. And no, my baby isn't wearing any pants. I like her chubby little legs, alright? Let me enjoy them while they're still cute, not unseemly!

When we weren't playing video games, BBJ was generally bothering her grandparents. They often resorted to violence to get her out of their way.
(No children were harmed during the shooting of this photo.)



When I was really bored, I made her wear embarrassing hats. (There were a few afternoons alone at MaMa and YehYeh's house. I had to find something to entertain myself!)

She doesn't seem too concerned! I wonder what she'll think in 15 years...I might pull this one out and show it to her first date!!


If we weren't wearing undergarments on our head, BBJ was wearing my clothes- and doing them quite a service, I must say!
We had a blast visiting with people I met on my mission in Hong Kong.

Here is the Ho family.
(back row, L-R) Louh Gung, Sister Kim (my companion in HK), Sister Ho, Belinda (daughter)
(Front row, L-R) yours truly, BBJ, Iris (neighbor), Charles (son).

I also got to see my "baby" from my mission. Isn't this cute? My baby is holding my baby!!


We caught the sites in Salt Lake City, including Temple Square. If you've never seen Temple Square at Christmas time, it is totally worth it! The lights were absolutely amazing. There was a choir of Sisters singing in the visitors center, and manger scenes everywhere...and people. Lots of people. And wind. But bring a hat, watch your step, and enjoy the view!
We took BBJ out into the snow. She loved being outside, bundled up...as long as she was on the (shoveled) driveway.
In an effort to get her accustomed to the snow, we attempted to force the issue...by dropping her into the nearest snow drift. She was not amused. Turns out, BBJ hates the snow. Passionately. (No, there is no way she is cold - she's wearing two pairs of socks, snow boots, snow pants with a bib, a parka with a hood, mittens, and a cap that covers her ears. She's just mad. As soon as I could stop laughing, we fished her out.)
In honour of my father, we did prepare "Christmas plates" for a few of the neighbors. (No, those aren't plates. Yes, they are hot pink. However, there were tasty treats and fruit inside, and it's the thought that counts!)
(My father was bound and determined, each year growing up, that there would be Christmas Plates, with cute plates, an assortment of yummy cookies, plastic wrap and a little red bow on top, thankyouverymuch. We tried every year, but could never quite produce what he had envisioned. Actually, I take that back - I distinctly remember a Very Happy Daddy during the Christmas of 1997. Eventually, he had to settle for my Pumpkin Bread. I have to say though, the year that I turned out 72 loaves of bread for distribution to our caroling route, I didn't hear a WORD about plates. I think he knew I had hit my limit! My Quantity and his Quality hit their compromise.)


BBJ added a few new "parlor tricks" to her resume during the trip.

This is her saying "please." (Yes, it means happy in ASL. So? To her it means "please." And no, Tiffany, I didn't notice that it was "happy" until you pointed it out. It's just how she says please! hahaha)
Aunt Winnie and Uncle Scott taught her how to "match" - you hold up a finger, and she'll poke it. ET haaaaapppppy.

Of course, there is "ching ching", a Chinese hand gesture that means "deepest thanks and respect", or something like that. This is what we use for "thank you," and came in very handy on Christmas Day!We absolutely could not do without her "feiman", or blowing a kiss. Yes, this one looks like "thank you" in ASL, so sometimes we tell her to "feiman" in Chinese, so that people thinks she's saying "thank you." (Hey, it's all in the intent, right? And her purpose is to make you smile!)
She can, of course, "gimme five."
This one is new. She learned some basic gestures for a few Chinese nursery rhymes. This one is called "sitting in a row," and to do the rhyme, you sit and pat your knees.
(The rhyme is translated thusly:
Sitting in a row
Eating dumplings
Auntie pull over a chair for the other auntie
If you sit and hurt your bum, don't blame me!

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense, but the words rhyme, and that's what matters!)


We had an absolutely lovely Christmas. The traditions were different, but it was wonderful to see Louh Gung's side of the family, eat some amazing Chinese food, hear stories and just enjoy the company of my "new" family that I do not get to see very often!
(Left to right: BBJ, me, MaMa, Auntie Winnie)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!