So, I've been silent - with good reason! Wonder Woman, Ernie and Uncle T have all been here this week (and are currently en route back to see Mr. Wonder Woman. Ernie is so excited!)
I'll get some photos of the mischievious duo up later, but I had to share this. For those of y'all in the know - I'm pregnant. I've been that way since, oh...March. I lost the ability to button my pants around the beginning of May. By this point, I (feel like I) look well into my second trimester. However, when I point this out to people at church or others that have known me since May, they look at me blankly and say, "What?" You see - they have NO IDEA I'm pregnant. I think I'm offended, but I'm not sure. (Umm...so it's normal to have size x legs and size x+4 waist? I think I'd at least have the common sense to get pants that fit my waist, not the other way around!) Anyhow, at the grocery store today, a woman was admiring Beautiful BBJ (smart woman!) and asked if I was expecting another. She was crouching on the floor, next to BBJ, so she had a fairly clear view of The Bulge. I was caught off guard, but said, yes, I am expecting my baby at the end of this year. I also thanked her for noticing and told her she was the first one to do so!
Now, contrast that to a man I met in the mall this morning. Inexplicably, BBJ flipped out when we went to the playground in the mall. She was doing fine, looked up and didn't see me (she looked the wrong way), freaked and RAN outside the playground into the food court. I laughed and went to get her...but couldn't calm her down. Ernie's been here all week, it's been a lot of excitement for the both of them...and BBJ finally lost it today. She thought I had left her, and nothing I could say would change that conviction. I held her and rocked her, Lo Gung held her and rocked her, and finally took a walk with her out to the food court to calm down. She was really and truly scared, not just mad. She wasn't even clinging, just..."busted." She hit her wall and was just letting it all out. As they walked away, I noticed a man watching. He spoke up. "Is that your daughter?" The man was Chinese, so I assumed he was going to ask why the girl looked so Asian. No, I didn't get that lucky! He said, "If it's your daughter, shouldn't she have calmed down when you held her?" I looked at him, wondering how to respond. So I said the first thing that came to mind. "Well, sir, you look a bit like her grandfather, and she was pretty scared of you. She thought I was going to give her to you and leave!" The man didn't know what to say, so he turned around and walked away.
Smart man.
This happens to me sometimes. It's weird figuring out what to say, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteway to go for being so eloquent! i usually don't have anything to say till after it's all over, and it's too late.
ReplyDelete