The other day, I was thinking about my favorite channel (49, if you must know...but it will probably make more sense if I just call it The Food Network) and my favorite shows on that channel (Good Eats, Ace of Cakes, and whatever Ina Garten calls her show). I was thinking, though - a lot of my friends are learning to "homemade" it - honestly grinding their own wheat, making their own bread. Even my own sister put up a few batches of preserves this week! So, why doesn't the Food Network have a show to help us out with these endeavors? A show dedicated to the ant's lifestyle, instead of the grasshoppers - save some of the bounty for the harsh months ahead, instead of simply enjoying as many variations on cucumber and tomato salads as you can in August!
Luckily, the Food Network Addict posted on his blog and pointed me in the right direction. The Food Network has a comments form! Read my comment, posted below, and let me know - do you think it's a good idea? Or...am I pregnant and crazy and nobody would ever watch The Exciting World of Canning.
"I hope this is the appropriate venue for this. I'm a young, stay at home housewife. Prices at the grocery store are going up, and I'm sure my friends and I aren't the only ones to notice it. It occurred to me that I would love to find a show on The Food Network that could teach me some of the frugal lifestyle tips of yore. If someone, like a Paula, could show us how to can, how to preserve, how to use ingredients that we've canned and preserved...how to do it ourselves...I think that show would find a faithful following. So often, making it can be cheaper than buying it, and often results in a purer product. Would you consider a show like this? Beyond the basics of canning and preserving, there are so many different recipes and things to be preserved. I think the topic would be good for at LEAST a 6-episode run. I watch Food Network daily, usually as my motivation at 4:30 to get dinner started. My toddler watches with me, and sits on the counter while I cook. Thank you for the thoughtful programming provided thus far! You've been responsible for many a meal when I just didn't feel like cooking."
You know, as someone who is currently attempting to do LOTS of things "home made" (wheat flour, bread, yogurt, clothes, toys, purses, gifts, laundry soap, etc.) I can see the merit in your request...but I'm not sure the Food Network is watched by many people like me. I think you're better off finding a sister in Relief Society to mentor you. But maybe if it was just canning...yeah, that would be cool. Perhaps it would kick start a few people- it really isn't THAT hard to can things! If you can boil water, you can do it.
ReplyDeleteI like it! You are totally not a crazy pregnant lady. I think of how many lds women are out there or just people interested in improving their skills and saving money. I think there might be a place for that show.
ReplyDelete