
Hmmm...well, since it's MY blog, and I can blog about anything I WANT to...how about I just put up all of my questions, and see what happens!

1) I need cute ideas for Baby Boy's nursery. We're going with a blue and brown theme...very Pottery Barn/Classic New England. What have you done in your nurseries that was inexpensive and classic? (BBJ's nursery was Classic Winnie the Pooh...before she was born. Now? Umm...well...it's just kind of where I throw all of her toys. I'm actually thinking of taking the Winnie the Pooh decorations down so the room will be a little more put together.)
2) I'm expecting my second baby in December. BBJ and I have finally reached a point where we can (fairly successfully) prepare dinner together. (She sits on the counter and "helps" me, while snacking on whatever it is that I'm cooking.) I will have nearly two months, complete, of live-in help once Baby Boy arrives. During those two months, I'd love to fill my freezer with ready-to-cook meals for the months after my help all flies home again. So, this question is two-fold.
A) I need a cheap freezer. Any suggestions? The fridge/freezer unit in my kitchen isn't big enough to handle what I want to put into it!
B) What did you cook after you had a baby that was easy. I know I could fill my freezer with lasagna, but...you know, lasagna once a month might just be my limit.
3) One last question. I'm a little nervous about having a boy. If any of you have at least one boy and one girl at home...what were the differences in care. What's different about caring for a newborn boy and a newborn girl? Anything? (I just realized how stupid this question sounds. Maybe I should clarify - do I really need to buy one of those PeePee TeePee's? There. I said it. So...do I? Is there a specific brand of diapers that worked for your boys? My choices are Huggies or Kirkland Signature...because those are all that Costco carries. ;-))
So, I guess there was a theme today. I'm completely centered on having this baby! Oh...and I'm totally nesting, too. Since I hate cleaning, my nesting is more centered around...holiday decorations. I won't bore you with the details, though. It just seems to me that I have this insane need to have my house decked out and catalogue-ready by Christmas! Oh well. It's almost time to decorate for Halloween! I can last that long.
I know nothing about the "pee pee tee pee" lol, but something I learned that NO ONE bothered to tell me... you must point the "pee pee" DOWN before you strap on the diaper, or the baby boy will soak EVERYTHING every time he pees.
ReplyDelete:-) Enjoy your new baby boy! Amy
1 - If I actually decorated the boys' room, it would all be nautical.
ReplyDelete2 - Looks on craigslist or freecycle for a chest freezer. Buying them brand new they're around $180. If we weren't in an apartment, I would totally have one. I don't really have any freezer meal advice. Sorry.
3 - You don't need no stinkin' peepee teepee! Just be quick. lol. I actually used a cloth diaper to drape over their front while I finished changing them.
In my experience, unless they are Huggies Supreme, Huggies don't work for my boys. I'm all about Pampers & Luvs, but I've heard good things about the Kirkland diapers.
Point him down if you notice him leaking out the top of the diaper. I never had much of a problem with it. No need for the teepee, just have a wipe or burp cloth handy to throw over him while you are changing. Those first few weeks my boys would pee every time the diaper came off. It was as if they felt a breeze and had to go LOL!
ReplyDeleteMy first was a girl and second, a boy...I can totally relate to wondering about the differences in care! I agree...forget the pee pee teepee and just throw a wipe over his little pee pee when you are changing him for a while! I actually found changing a boy's diaper much easier for many reasons! Do point his little soaker down when you put on a new diaper though. :)
ReplyDeleteI would look for a freezer that doesn't build up ice...I don't know what they call that, but otherwise...you'll have to clean it out and let the ice melt away every so often. I'd make some creamy chicken soup, almost any casserole your family likes and then just have some cooked chicken strips (you can get these frozen at Costco) and frozen veggies in the freezer. When you want to eat it, warm up the chicken, steam the veggies in the microwave add minute rice and you have yummy (my kids love this) rice bowls!
I so wish I could help with the decorating question!
Hope it all goes well for you!!!
I always carry a cloth diaper around with me for the first few months to cover him up while doing diaper changes. I've gotten peed on before... but I figure that's just how it goes sometimes.
ReplyDeleteI haven't really done a theme for the boy's room but I do have the same colors: blue, tan, brown and red. I found a PB rug on craigslist and have been going from there. I think I'm going to go with a transportation theme, so airplanes and cars and trucks. Nothing over the top, just some simple pictures and such. I found a quilted pillowcase at the thrift store that I hung on the wall. Looks kinda cute.
I have two boys, one loved to pee on me and the other one never once went on me. I just learned to be quick with my tinkler.
ReplyDeleteWe used Huggies (we now cloth diaper). I tried all sorts of store brand diapers and ended up with so many leaks and messes. It was easier to stick with a national brand that I knew would not leak.
I can't help you with nursery ideas. Neither one of my boys had anything special since we were renting at the time. They now have a Thomas the Train room which they adore.
Nope, you don't need a peepee teepee. LOL. Be aware that you may get pee in your face once or twice, but it's actually not as bad as it sounds. Everybody else had good advice about pointing him down adn whatever...also dont' freak out when he wants to play with himself. It's normal to 'explore' a bit, and infant/toddler exploration isn't going to lead to an oversexed adult.
ReplyDeleteMy biggest piece of advice about little boys actually is to NOT circumcise. I have researched this heavily and all the medical science is against it, it's just a cultural habit. The procedure is extremely painful for the child
(some kids pass out) and hygiene is actually easier if he is uncut. Also I find he has fewer 'cold air reaction pees' when being changed... ;) I would encourage you to read the blog post I wrote on the subject http://brightonwoman.blogspot.com/2007/06/intactivism.html
Remember that he can always make the choice to be cut later, but if you cut him now, he will never have the option.
3. I don't have a boy, but my friend always put a wash cloth over her baby's boy parts when she changed his diaper and that saved her quite a few times. I've also heard lots of people say that Huggies are better for boys and Pampers are better for girls, although Huggies work better for my girl.
ReplyDelete2. I have made some meals from the book Fix, Freeze, Feast by Kati Neville and Lindsay Tkacsik and have loved them. They make 3-6 meals each so you might want to go in with a friend or do some swapping for more variety.
1. Painting is fun and inexpensive. You could do some big horizontal stripes in blues and browns. You can buy stretched canvas at craft stores and then put baby's hand and foot prints on it/them in your colors. I like babies names on the wall. You can buy plain wooden letters and paint them or do vinyl. All this thinking is making me want to decorate a nursery! Have fun and good luck!
Hi. I actually found you through a comment you had left on another blog. Didn't think I had much to add to your questions since my youngest is 11. But I do have three boys and one girl. Just learn to clean around the toilet and you will be fine!
ReplyDeleteboys are great. when you take off the dirty diaper, i just grab the new one and put it over while i wipe, so i don't get sprayed.
ReplyDeleteBoys are wonderful! You are going to have so much fun!
ReplyDeleteSkip the teepee. You will find that it is much quicker changing a boy than it was your daughter... no nooks and crannies to clean. I always laid a wipe over the little fountain to keep getting sprayed.
I agree with the other ladies who have told you to make sure it's pointing down. Take it from someone who learned that the hard way.
I, personally, hated Huggies. They always seemed to leak. I used Kirkland diapers exclusively and loved them.
As for easy meals... have you tried Poppy Seed Chicken? It is easy to make and delicious. Check out the recipe here: http://everydayfare.blogspot.com/2008/04/poppy-eed-chicken.html
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteYep- point it down. I never got peed on. We used Pampers Swaddlers & loved them. They never ever leaked.
ReplyDeleteFreeze a quiche or two. They're easy to make, easy to freeze & tasty!
I agree about not needing the tee pee.... waste of $. Just cover with a wash cloth/wipe/cloth diaper, etc. and be quick. In truth they only really pee when exposed to air for a few weeks and then they get use to the sensation and quit doing it.
ReplyDeleteI don't really have any other ideas for freezer meals since you've already seen my post about the same thing. And thanks for your tip about the things to NOT freeze - guess I'll cancel out the sheperd's pie.
Glad to hear I'm preaching to the choir. I have just become so passionate about that topic that I try to get it out there whenever I can. Many people have never even thought about it. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, you're absolutely right, another LDS mama here. :)
If you haven't, check out mormonmommy blogs.blogspot.com they've got a whole roster!
P.S. Sorry we didn't make it to the potluck. Erik had an audit, and I wasn't feeling up to taking the kids alone. But I hope you had a blast!
ReplyDelete