Saturday, November 22, 2008

Saturday's Doings

Oh, kids...I'm tired. I've been working all week on wares to put out at my friend's Garage Sale. I put the finishing touches on my signs and price lists this morning, and drove over around 9. I set up my table...and it was cold. Not just chilly - it was bone-numbingly cold. I didn't have my gloves with me, and I couldn't feel my hands after 10 minutes.

When I had finished at the garage sale, I left to go to Baby Boy's Baby Shower. (Wow, that's a mouthful!) My friend Kim offered to throw it...and does that girl ever know how to throw a party! The house was beautiful, the decorations were all just lovely...and she delegated all of the party food to other guests to bring. That is one smart cookie! Timothy received some beautiful clothes, and toys...and lots and lots of warm stuff for later this winter. (Remember my little squirrel friend the other day? Yeah...it never got above 30 degrees today. It's NOVEMBER, people!! This Pacific Northwest Girl is freezing..and I know January is going to be even colder. Brrrrrr. I think I need to go find some cream puffs so I can puff up for the winter!)

I went back to the garage sale around 2, to pick up what was left of my wares and see if I could help my friend clean up. When I got there, most of her stuff was gone, and my table was completely empty. Score!!!

That's when I saw my friend walking towards me with a bag...full of my blocks, blankets, burp cloths, apron and notecards. Yeah...I didn't sell one thing. She didn't do much better - she sold a treadmill at the last minute, a few VHS tapes, a radio, a digital clock and a toy dog. Her daughters, who sold hot chocolate, made 8 sales...so they did way better than she did! The girls made $2 a piece.

So, I'm guessing...Tag Sale season is over? It was just so cold today...and my poor friend was out there for 5 hours. I'm a little disheartened - it just wasn't the I'm-Looking-For-Baby-Gifts crowd. It was the old and weird "Do you have anything nautical?" crowd. It was the "I'd like to buy your heirloom, mint condition, grandfather clock that's listed for $45 for $10" crowd. It was the five people that came an hour early and started pestering her before she had even pulled the "good stuff" out!

Ah well. Such is life. Expect a lot of flannel baby blankets with matching burp cloths and dolly sized versions, as well, to show up in the shoppe on Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you didn't have a successful sale. It is not surprising in this economy. Disappointing but not surprising.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!