Good job, you guys. I loved reading all your guesses. First, here's a recap of all y'all's answers:
Egg
Rice ball
Eyeballs
Soup and a tofu ball
Something brown
Meatball and soup
Chocolate sauce and marshmallows
The biggest dumpling and the brownest soup in the WORLD
Dumpling in plum sauce
Century egg in soup
Red Lions Head
Stewed cherries or something chocolate (wishful thinking, Sam!)
So, yeah...it's brown, and it is soup.
Unfortunately, it's not chocolate...or stewed cherries...or marshmallows.
It is sweet vinegar, eggs, ginger and pig trotters.
Geung Chou (Ginger Vinegar Soup)
Yes, really.
And it's very good for me! (It's not very good for you, however, unless you just had a baby....)
See, it's all about hot air. Somehow I lost all mine when I had the baby, so we have to replenish the fire in my belly! The vinegar gives me fire, the ginger gets rid of gas, and the eggs and pig trotters replenish nutrients and calcium. We simmered the whole thing for three days before it was ready. It tastes a lot like the brine in bread and butter pickles, or pickle chips...
...and BBJ can't get enough of it.
Now, if any of you were to visit me, we would offer you a small bowl. It's not that we're being stingy, but any more than that, and you'd break out in zits like a nervous thirteen year old! 'Cause y'all still have all the hot air you need. (Hey, I'm just stating the facts here...) Oh, and yes - my two year old got a zit two days ago, so we cut her off from the soup.
Want to know more? Head over to my foodie site, The Chow Review, for a full recipe with pictures.
What are pig trotters? Feet? Gross!
ReplyDeleteI cannot BELIEVE I didn't get this right. But... how'd you like my guesses? Were they laughable or plausible? Tell me the truth. I can totally take it.
ReplyDeleteMy questions was the same as Kelly's.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe I missed the first post. What kind of stalker am I? I do not want to know what pig trotters are nor am I popping over to get the recipe. I'm sticking with broccoli cheese soup which also works on the air inside you, btw.
ReplyDeleteFunny :-) My Chinese dry cleaner told me to ask my Dad about that soup when I had my daughter. Your little man is adorable. Happy New Year.
ReplyDeleteI'm relieved to know I have all the hot air I need. I suspected that was the case. :) Thanks for sharing that cool explanation!
ReplyDeleteSo, that is the postpartum soup I've heard so much about! Hope you get that Yiht Hei back! :O) I may forget a LOT of Chinese, but I'll never forget that!
ReplyDelete