Wednesday, February 25, 2009

American Idol: Week 2

Woohoo! Nick Mitchell is on tonight! I don't think I've mentioned this, but he's our Hometown Hero! Even our Mayor Mark is Twittering about him. (Mayor Mark wants us to vote for Nick Mitchell, because he's Awesome.)

Tonight is the second set of 12, and we've got to vote.

Let's get this party started!

1- Jasmine Murray (Love Song) - Great look! I love what she's doing with the song. She looks a little nervous...but who wouldn't be?! This time last year, she was hiding in the basement watching Idol with a bucket of popcorn! Overall, I love the voice, but it looks like she's trying to channel Beyonce.

2- Matt Giraud (Viva la Vida) - dueling piano player. He sounded a little bit nervous. Liked his take of the song. It was moving too fast. His dancing was weird too. And shaking his head to get vibrato. Not his best. The Hollywood performance was much better.

3- Jeanine Vailes (This Love) - Long legs!! A little pitchy. Too much movement. I kept thinking of the line from princess bride - I don't think it means what you think it means. She didn't sing the song like she knew what she was singing about. Agree with the judges that it was way over done.
(Contestants should not pick songs that they love. They need to pick what fit their voice and style.)

4- Nick Mitchell (from Brookfield, CT - go Connecticut!!) - Funny guy. So, awesome. The best performance of the season so far. To the judges: You have got to be kidding me. This guy could SING!! I am going to vote for him right after the show.
(Hope you liked that little interlude...the last couple of reviews were from Lo Gung while I took care of Siu Jeun. Thanks, honey!)

5- Allison Iraheta (Alone) - Love her voice. That was a seriously exciting performance. She's got an awesome voice, and I'm actually looking forward to see what she does in future weeks! That is a first for this season...except for Norman, of course.

6 - Kris Allen (Man In The Mirror) - (Can you say canned interview? He sounds so scripted!) (And come on - he stole David Archuletta's clothes. ;-)) This is the first time I've heard someone do Michael Jackson where it doesn't sound totally dated - this sounds modern, and I'm likin' it! This competition is starting to get hot!

7 - Megan Joy Corkrey (Put Your Records On) - Nice unique voice...but sweetie, what is up with those two roses on your chest?! You look like a mime...and you look a little nervous, bless your heart. Please stop twisting your hips around. Definitely the right song - she's a quirky little thing!(Apparently, it's called the Corkrey. Who knew?)

(This week is much harder than last week to pick who's going through!!)

8 - Matt Breitzke (Tonic) - Hmm...it sounds a little forced, looks a little nervous. (And wasn't this guy country last time?) Sad...that was pretty boring. His story is the most compelling part of his performance.


9 - Jessie (Betty Davis Eyes) - Mom, if you're watching tonight, this girl's for you. Anybody who was watching the charts in the 80's is gonna be in heaven with this one. A great version of the song, but I'mnot positive it's gonna ring with the current crowd. Lo Gung sez - she's got a good voice, but she's no fun to watch.

10 - Kai Kelama (What Becomes of the Broken Hearted) - His Mama should be proud. I don't think he stands out on this stage, but his Mama can be proud of him, all the same! (See, there she is standing up and dancing...but her row is the only one dancing.)

11 - Mishavonna Henson (Drops of Jupiter) - It's decent...not sure how memorable it is. I think Paula hit it on the head - the song didn't excite me!

12 - Adam Lambert (Satisfaction) - Well, this is definitely memorable! (Man, I wish the group was already pared down for us - this is going to be so hard!!) Who is he as an artist? He's definitely versatile, range-wise. He is very artistic. I agree with Simon - you either love it or hate it. It wasn't my bag, but he did it well.

My picks - Allison Iraheta, Adam Lambert, Nick Mitchell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!