Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sunday Scripture Thoughts

The other evening, I was having a rough go of it. BBJ was cranky and screaming at everyone, SJ was just screaming, and I knew that (given the chance) I could out-scream both of them!

I took SJ and retreated to my room to nurse him in peace, hoping to lull him to sleep so I could eat a hot dinner.

I settled onto my bed and grabbed the only thing I could find to occupy myself - a set of scriptures on my nightstand, engraved with my name. They were a wedding gift from Lo Gung. Thinking that my frustrated heart might make an interesting challenge for God that evening, I flipped the book open and read the first thing I came to.

Job 7

1 Is there not an appointed time to man upon earth? are not his days also like the days of an hireling?

2 As a servant earnestly desireth the shadow, and as an hireling looketh for the reward of his work:

3 So am I made to possess months of vanity, and wearisome nights are appointed to me.

4 When I lie down, I say, When shall I arise, and the night be gone? and I am full of tossings to and fro unto the dawning of the day.

5 My flesh is clothed with worms and clods of dust; my skin is broken, and become loathsome.

6 My adays are swifter than a weaver’s shuttle, and are spent without hope.
(copied from the KJV at http://scriptures.lds.org/en/job/7)

I thought, now isn't that interesting! I'm definitely looking for a reward for my work. I'm pretty vain right now, and my nights are DEFINITELY weariome! When I lie down, I have no idea what time night will end for me...and, after months of storage, my sweaters have provided shelter for more than a few "worms". (Doh!!)

God does have a sense of humour...and I'm not the first person to be tested with screaming evenings. I don't know why I took so much comfort from these verses, but I did! Maybe because MY trials aren't going to come even close to killing me, and none of my friends have abandoned me - they think the little squirts are cute!!!

5 comments:

  1. There's nothing like cracking open the sticks (as my dh calls them) when you are in some sort of emotional crisis and seeing what pops out. It invariably is in some way appropriate and usually makes me laugh too. God has a great sense of humour. Glad you got a little chuckle and some perspective. The scriptures are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God has the best sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And to think I was about to be scripturally edified! Just kidding, I loved it! I'll have to commit that one to memory, perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear God was up to the challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!