Wednesday, March 25, 2009

American Idol: Week 5

MoTown week!



1. Matt Giraud (Let's Get It On) - No pressure, right - Smokey says Marvin would have loved this. Hmm...nice groove, but...yeah. Those pants? Sweetie, they don't fit. Girls have that problem all the time - the legs are great, but the top is lookin' pretty scary. (And does anyone else see Paula's tutu? Sweeeeeet.) Matt did a great job, he ...he's a pair of old jeans? Is that the best you can do, Paula? Moving on. (Great job, Matt!)



2. Kris Allen (How Sweet It Is) - I like that he started out with the most famous line...it pulls you straight into the song, and you just want to sing along! This is a fun performance. He still reminds me of a kid singing in the middle of the Quad or Pike Place Market with his guitar case open, just grooving out - a local favorite.



3. Scott MacIntyre (Can't Hurry Love) - With the piano again...and he's groovin'! He's getting more comfortable on that stage, but it's getting more obvious that he won't be able to catch up to the other guys, skillz wise. The top notes, and the bottom notes, are just a bit off. His piano skills, though...those are beyond compare. I'm not sure where his place in the music world is, but I just can't see him packing 'em into arenas. Randy hit it on the head - he just needs to find his music, do it his way. I dunno - it was just alright for me.



(I sure hope Simon has fun with those crayons Paula just handed to him! Quick poll - how do you say that word? Does it sound like "crown" or "cray-yun"??)



4. Megan Joy Corkrey (For Once In My Life) - Oh, Megan. I love me some Corkrey, but something is just OFF tonight. Like it's too low, or too slow. (And she looks like one of Simon's crayons! ha!) The second half is better - it's higher, it seems a little more up-tempo. Again, it was just alright! (Randy said it was too fast...that could be it, too. It just felt like she was being dragged around by the song.



5. Anoop Desai (Ooh Baby, Baby) - Ooh, starting out a little pitchy, baby. This is a good song for his voice, but completely unforgiving. He ends it on the right note, figuratively and literally. He definitely found his groove and his "pocket" by a few lines in, and it turned out alright!



6. Michael Sarver (Aint Too Proud to Beg) - I'm watching this through the lens of the advice Smokey gave him: Is he punching it up enough? I'm not sure. I don't feel like he's got a connection with the song. A connection with the audience, yes, but not with the song. It's like he's got the woman standing in front of him, and he's making his pleas to her pretty girlfriends all around her.



7. Lil Rounds (Heatwave) - I'm having a really, really, REALLY hard time getting over her outfit. The crazy dress, the BIZZARRE wig....it's a MESS. She, of course, is rocking the song out. It started out a little rough, which is odd for her, but she got it together a few bars. (Nothing big...just a little pitchy, and not quite put together.) Killer ending, she's awesome!



8. Adam Lambert (Tracks of My Tears) - HEY! Adam cleans up pretty good! He's got a little Dean Cain-ish charm going on, and - yeah, it's totally costume-y- but I'm lovin' it! I love his version of the song, and I think this makes up for his COMPLETELY BIZZARRE AND DISTURBING performance last week. Definitely the best performance of the night. Is anyone else as surprised as I am?



9. Danny Gokey (Get Ready) - (Danny, please lend your fashion sense to Matt - he needs help buying some jeans.) I'm just a little under-whelmed. A little boppy, a little...kareoke? This is gonna sound crazy, but I think if he wasn't dressed like he was headed to the mall, it would help his stage cred a bit. Everyone else is suits, ties, fringe and satin. Him? Jeans and a black button down. I didn't hear him add in the chorus enders like he said he was going to. Good, not great. I still love him, he's still one of my favorites, but that's not coming out in tonight's performance.



10. Allison Iraheta (Papa Was a Rolling Stone) - Ooh, I'm likin' this. Looks good. Sounds good. Feels like funk, feels believable. This is a great song for her, and a GREAT showcase for her voice. The only thing I wish is that it was longer. I want to hear the rest of the song!



(Did Simon draw that mustache on Paula with a crayon?! What must a face be like that can be marked with a crayon???)



My favorites: Adam Lambert, Allison Iraheta



My picks to go home: Michael Sarver and Scott MacIntyre. (Sorry...but somebody's got to go!)



Alright- discuss!

6 comments:

  1. ditto - although I believe Michael Sarver will go home first because of MacIntyre's huge fan base... even though he was far worse last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add megan into the bottom 3 and I think you nailed it... she was in the bottom last week too, and I think those are the next three out unless someone screws up royally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add megan into the bottom 3 and I think you nailed it... she was in the bottom last week too, and I think those are the next three out unless someone screws up royally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I DVR'd it last night as Survivor comes first in my world... I agree. It is Michael, Scott or Megan tonight. I really like Danny, but loved Adam and Alison last night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Matt Giraud, don't mess with his jeans. :) Ok, didn't care for the jeans, but he's one of my favorites! He's got great skillz, just needs a bit more confidence. And did you actually suggest that Danny Gokey give him fashion advice? Did you see what Danny wore last week? Please don't tell me you like his highlights! Those have got to go.

    Not really surprised that Adam Lambert did so well. Yes, surprised by his look, but that guy is creative and talented - still not my favorite though. He will always keep it interesting, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. judging by his unwaveringly positive commentaries, it would seem that Smokey Robinson is a die-hard optimist

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!