No...not even democratic. Let's just say, my choices would be Limited. Very, Very Limited.
At the tender age of 8, I was introduced to the idea of The List. It started small, with one of my elementary school best friends. We'll call him the Country Boy. His inclusion on the list was a result of him being my friend, him being the only other member of my church in our small country school, and his mother being one of the best bakers we'd ever met. (She later taught me how to make bread, and my hips have been grateful ever since!)
Later on, The List would grow and shrink. Removal from The List was not to be taken lightly and, once removed, your status was permanent. Mom is nothing if not thorough. Why take a chance? There are plenty of other fish out there that would love to be included! Through the years, The List included a few of my boyfriends (and a few were noticeably absent - so sad. They never had a chance!) and boys from church. Occasionally, a good looking lifeguard would make it on the list, until she actually met them and found out that their intellect was about as deep as the kiddie pool they watched.
What criteria were most important for inclusion on the list? Well, you must be a member of our church (sorry, guys - it's just how it is), you must be good looking (if you have a choice, why not shoot for GORGEOUS grand kids, right?) and they must be educated and prepared to support the family in a manner befitting royalty. (Hey, we're all partial to our own kids. Can't fault her for that one!)
(By the way, Lo Gung fit all the criteria and passed with FLYING colors, with the ADDED bonus that was Foreign, which automatically made him Exotic and Interesting. It also made for GORGEOUS GRAND KIDS, so all is good there!)
Fast forward. The Princess Daughter is happily married. (What? Didn't you realized Princess BBJ must have a princess for a mother?) BBJ is getting to be rather pretty...
Enter The List!
I think we have our first applicant.
Well, applicant might be too strong a word. He is only 18 months old.
He's small, though - I think I could strong-arm him into signing up.
Come to think of it, though, inclusion on my mother's list was never voluntary. The list wasn't even published!
A mom can dream though...right?
(Don't worry - Siu Jeun will have his List. I just have to wait a few years...)
(Why? Oh come on - you know all babies look like itty bitty bugs! Admit it! Just wait until his girlfriends grow into their eyes, and sprout their little cheeks...and we'll be in business!)
That little boy is a definite candidate for The List. He's so cute!
ReplyDeleteI'm just sad I don't have one to nominate for inclusion.
ReplyDeleteNu? And what about smart? This list was clearly not made by a JEWISH mother. ;) Though I'm sure it was understood in the rest of the criteria. ;)
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, your husband is smoking hot, I've noticed. :)
I love it! I am totally starting lists for my kids. And I think he definitely belongs on BBJ's list. He's a DOLL!! Can't wait to see who you pick for Siu Jeun :)
ReplyDeleteHA! My favorite: "itty bitty bugs". So true. I didn't feel that way with our first son, but as i see and photograph more and more newborns, i'm beginning to agree with you. And definitely sign that littl mister up. He's just adorable!!
ReplyDeleteHe's adorable :)
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm not sure you got Mom's list in the right order:
1) LDS
2) INTELLIGENT and on track to support a family
Those were the real important ones- everything else was some crazy algorithm and a point system, I think. Good looks = 3 points, crazy mother = -4 points...