Oooh...Disco week. Bad news, indeed!
1. Lil Rounds (I'm Every Woman) - OK, our girl is HOT tonight! She looks great, she picked the right song, I felt like she put her stamp on it. The judges are harsh...I guess they need to be, at this point in the game, but...still. Yeah, I don't really know what Lil is all about, but I know she can belt out anything anyone gives her to belt!
2. Kris Allen (She Works Hard For the Money) - Is it just me, or does this just smack of Kris-dom???! He gets better every week. I don't know if he's got the glitz to win this thing, but...ooh, if he did, wouldn't that be something? His sound is so hot right now, but he's unique enough to ride the trend without looking like a copycat.
(So, what's the deal this week? We're back to all four judges commenting on every performance, and there's no mentor this week? No little videos to watch while people get ready to go on stage? What's up with that?!)
3. Danny Gokey (September) - Hmm. Why does this sound like Gospel Pop to me??! I guess that's just his niche! He's changed it up, he's high energy. Not really my bag, but...he kinda rocked it out, dawg?
4. Allison Irajeta (Hot Stuff) - (Can I just point out that this is a bit inappropriate for a 16 year old to sing? But when has that ever stopped this girl - she just performs it!) She's rocking it out - definitely made this her own...and she's definitely rocking it out! She's got such a strong style!
5. Adam Lambert (If I Can't Have You) - So...when Adam pulls out the suit, we can assume he's going to go Ballad on us? Paula is crying...I think everyone has, at this point, forgiven Adam for his Musical Theater background. Adam is just so versatile and brilliant...I think it's taken everyone this long to see it as he means it to be - sincere.
6. Matt Giraud (Stayin' Alive) - Oooh...Justin Timberlake lives on! He just makes me smile. There's something so very groovy about Matt! This arrangement is no exception - he's showing us range, he's showing us moves, and MAN I've never understood these lyrics before! That, right there, gets props from me.
7. Anoop Desai (Dim The Lights) - Aaaaaand now, the smooth sound of Anoop Desai! With him in that suit, all I can think of is Mojinder Suresh. (Anyone else know what I'm talking about?) I didn't love it...I didn't even like it. I don't know the song, so maybe this is unfair, but I never got the melody out of that. Good vocals, yes, but...still not quite my thing. Good vocals, though.
Hmm...what did you guys think of the show tonight? Yes, I agree with Randy - all the vocals left in the contest are great. This is going to come down a personality contest (doesn't it always?) and a genre-off. Will rock with heart win over rock with grit? How about gospel pop over the singer/songwriter? Hmm...
My votes to go - Lil Rounds and Anoop Desai. So sad.
We're still Matt Giraud fans but when we heard he was doing Stayin' Alive we were more than nervous for him. I think he did a good job, but unfortunately he is lacking confidence and it shows in his performances. Still big fans though. Super happy that the judges saved him last week! I hope he gets at least one more week to show what he's got.
ReplyDeleteI hope that Lil Rounds goes. I mean, the girl can sing but I have to agree with the judges - she's not original and quite frankly I just don't think that she gets it.
I agree with you about Lil' and Anoop or maybe Matt too...
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking Lil and Anoop. And you were right - we really enjoyed Kris Allen. He is winning me over - it's not that I don't like Danny anymore or anything (because I do!), but Kris is really showing great artistry and originality. Plus, he's not kooky (like SOME people on Idol).
ReplyDeleteI can't remember to watch!
ReplyDelete