Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Special Visit

Last week, I received a very special phone call - our dear friend Aunt SheShe was in town, and could she come over and see us? (SheShe used to live in the cottage at the top of our driveway. She was BBJ's best friend here, mostly based on the fact that her house was within walking distance and she kept a stash of gummy treats and pretzels in the pantry for when her own granddaughter came to visit. Oh, and the jar of chocolate on her husband's desk - that helped, too. SheShe was a lifesaver, and our emergency/BEST babysitter. She watched BBJ when Lo Gung and I took off to NYC for the day to celebrate our anniversary, and she watched BBJ last July when Lo Gung was in a car accident and I spent the morning with him at the accident scene and then the hospital.)

Could she?! My only question was how long could she stay.



As it turns out, she had nothing else scheduled for the day, so her time was mine to direct. Yipeee! BBJ was so happy to see her and, as it just so happened, I had everything ready for her to come.

We started off with lunch, then put the kids to bed and cleared off the kitchen table - she had brought her Cricut and it was time to play. (If you've never seen a Cricut, it's a machine that looks like a printer, but it cuts things out. For example, we wanted to make a little Mulan decal. You feed various colors of paper through the machine, and the Cricut cuts out each part of the decal which must then be fit together like a puzzle and glued. Make sense? It's great for scrapbooking, home decor, or even making fabric appliques.)

When the kids woke up, it was time to head out to Stew Leonard's - SheShe would never DREAM of coming out here and not picking up some supplies at Stew's for her sweet hubs.


Once we arrived at Stew's, SheShe looked at me and shyly asked if it was alright if she bought BBJ an ice cream cone. What kind of a question is that?! Of course! (I knew BBJ would never be able to finish it, so...it wasn't an entirely selfless answer. ;-)) She got BBJ a "kids size" in a cup, with sprinkles. (How did my daughter get to live this long and never try sprinkles??!) BBJ, of course, was in heaven, and did fairly well at keeping the ice cream off of her clothes. (Her hair was another matter...every time she'd swivel her head around to check out a dancing carton of milk or a singing chicken, her hair would run through the ice cream like a bow through rosin. *sigh*)

After Stew's, we made up a Chinese feast in SheShe's honor, and finally had to send her packing with a loaf of bread and a jar of homemade strawberry-lime jam. (See what I mean about being all prepared? I had made the bread the previous morning, and the jam was cooling on the counter when she arrived.)



SheShe, we're so glad you were able to come!!! Can't wait to see you again!

5 comments:

  1. Oh hooray She She! So glad she could stop by for a visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Sounds like a great time for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, thanks for stopping by my recipe blog! I love the pictures of you and your little ones they are precious : )

    I actually found your blog through Happy to Be at Home when you were on the Kitchen of the Week Series. I love your blog it's so fun to read! Stop by either of my blogs anytime!!

    Thanks~

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so wonderful to have someone like this sharing your life. Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so glad that you had a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!