...on children motocross racing past midnight.
Any pediatricians? Parents of motocross racers? Motocross racers? Avid fans?
It's not often that my mother needs help from me (it's usually the other way around!), but she is currently working on her college degree (I know! Can I get a woot?!) and is starting to work on her final paper for this term.
Here's the deets:
Hi (Aunt LoLo). I need help from your blog. I'm writing an article for my final project, and am hoping for some good comments from verified "experts." In this case, pediatricians, motocross racers, medics or emergency room staff, parents with kids who dirt bike....
My subject is:an 8-year-old kid motocross racing at 1 a.m. A SLC boy died on June 20th at a legitimate track on an 85 cc. dirt bike. His race had been delayed from after nine till after midnight. If you get any feedback, could I have contact information so I can verify my sources and contact them? Thanks.
If anyone has anything to add, could you please let me know in the comments, and I'll pass on your contact information? Thanks!!
Sorry, I'm not much help to your mum.
ReplyDeleteBut she's so cool!!
Well, I'm no expert, but that kid's parents were crazy to allow the race that late. People get tired, including kids, coaches and folks in charge of safety. I'm so sorry for their loss.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMotocross is an inherently dangerous, albeit fun, sport. I have a broken collar bone and ribs as I write this, thanks to a dirt bike crash two weekends ago. It is also a terrific sport for kids... It requires lots of practice, preparation, discipline, and generally requires the help of family and friends (great bonding opportunities). Any activity for 8 year olds after 12am is likely ridiculous but probably a relatively common occurrence in sports with many participants that require a single resource (like a motocross track or ice hockey rink). Injuries and deaths are an unfortunate part of the sport and take place at all hours of the day. Without knowing the exact circumstances, it is difficult to pass final judgment. However, 8 year old kids racing past midnight doesn't feel like a good standard practice. That doesn't mean we need laws against such things. It should still be in the hands of parents to decide. Feel free to contact me via dmadlem@dirttrailreview.com or by visiting http://dirttrailreview.ning.com
ReplyDelete