Monday, September 28, 2009

Somebody is Turning 3!!


BBJ celebrated her birthday with her friends over the weekend! I hemmed and hawed over what to do with a small (very small) handful of three year old girls. In the end, I decided to go with the path that was the easiest!

Fairies.

Pink.

Sprinkles.

Magic Wands.

We ended up with only two little guests, which was just fine for me. Each girl got a little "fairy flower" as she came in, to make them into little fairies. We had a SHORT art project - girls scribbled on coffee filters, which I then sprayed with water, let dry, and tied them onto the ends of the girls "magic fairy wands." Suddenly, the magic wands were...fairy puppets!

I turned on music and let the girls dance. (I kind of blanked on what fairies ought to dance to, and ended up just turning on BBJ's favorite album - David Archuletta. ha! Fairies like little Davie, right?)

After dancing, it was time for pizza, followed by presents, and then (the main event) - the cupcakes!
(One of the little girls kept me on a short leash on the scheduling. From the moment she walked in, she wanted to know when she could dig into the pink cupcakes!)

When I had asked BBJ what she would like for her birthday, I always got the same response:

"Pink."

What kind of cupcakes would you like?

"Pink."

Hrm. Well, then - pink cupcakes it is!

The cupcakes and icing were made from scratch. Oy.

My father's grandmother was a very wise woman, in many many ways. She counseled my father to never make a cake from scratch, as there was no point - the boxes would always turn out better. Loads of money and hours and research made sure of that!

I proved her right. My yellow cake had the texture of cornbread! The frosting was pink, to be sure, and very sweet.

BBJ ate the frosting off of her cupcake, and donated the rest to Siu Jeun. What a sweet big sister!
Posted by Picasa
*I can't leave a birthday post alone without giving a little history of the actual BIRTH, can I? BBJ was born at about 5 in the morning after a relatively easy labor. It was long, to be sure, but I had "help". As soon as she was born, I knew exactly what I wanted - MY DADDY. You see, Grandma is a night owl - if the baby had been born between the hours of about 9 and midnight, my mother would have been there in a heartbeat. My father is an early bird, and is usually up around 5. I had been up for more than 24 hours at that point, and so had Lo Gung. I knew my Dad was working just down the street, and liked to go into work early and probably wouldn't mind coming down to hold his newest grandaughter so we could get some shut-eye. ;-) Sure enough, he was in his office by 5:30 am that morning. He came straight to the hospital and was just in time to help the nurses lift me onto a gurney so I could be wheeled down to my recovery room. It was a STRONG epidural! BBJ, we love you. You're my little Mini Me, but prettier. We push each others buttons, and the teen years are going to be rough, I'm sure, but your daddy and I adore you. You and your brother are all we talk about after you guys go to sleep! The other night, I was sitting on the couch, just watching you play. You came over, crawled into my lap, whispered "I love you" into my ear, and then kissed me on the forehead.
Then you saw that I liked it, so you did it twice more, just for my reaction.
Happy birthday, JyuJyu. We love you!

2 comments:

  1. Too fun, too sweet, too...far away :) Love and miss you, Miss BBJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, happy birthday, BBJ!

    VERY sweet post, Aunt Lolo! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!