Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I love Fall

I love the fall. I think I always have. There's something so comforting about the cooler weather that forces us indoors. We cozy up to thick sweaters, rich stews and good books. Cooler weather signals my excuse to start using my oven again. There are cookies, pies and cakes to bake..dieting can wait until the spring! This week, I kicked off the festivities with a fabulous pot full of slow-cooker pumpkin butter. Mmm...paired with some fresh bread, it made an amazing snack. Like a doughnut...that I didn't have to fry.

Caught in the act - BBJ loves stickers. I gave her a sheet of Sandra Boynton stickers, left over from a calendar I used last year. I then caught her sticking them to a large bowl of popcorn. Oh well - they'll scrub off. Her father hates stickers. Heh. He married the wrong girl - I was the kindergartener that plastered the sides of her furniture with every sticker she could find, just so I could admire them. It was my own personal gallery!
A gorgeous tree in my front yard. I love how the top of this majestic tree is crimson and flame, while the lower branches remain verdant and green.

Sneaking in some playtime in the front yard. BBJ chose to remain in her pajamas that day....and I didn't mind. Goodness knows, I've chosen PJs over jeans many a day myself!

How are you celebrating the new, cooler weather?
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love stickers when I was a kid. I even had a sticker album, a sticker collection...

    While I don't mind that much that we have stickers all over the house, I tear my hair out over stickers on the walls, because when you (er, my tikesters) peel those off, a layer of paint comes off! And now I have weird patches all over my walls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, one thing I do love about fall... is the stews!

    And your lo gung doesn't like stickers? I'd say it's a man thing because mine kinda detests it too. However, I had a male colleague who was kind of obsessed with collecting stickers.... as long as the stickers were not pink or purple. Strange...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made the husband that cayenne tea you passed along. I warned him, but didn't tell him what was in it. Here's hoping it helps. And that he doesn't hate me after.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...I'm getting everything done that I've been putting off :) Well, OK not everything...but I WANT to...and I've done some stuff... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. on a more random note, I'm pretty sure "verdant" means... "greening"
    ...
    so....you know. Greening and Green ;)

    HOWEVER I was just admiring the trees on campus today. I love how they're vibrant yet still pastel in texture almost. Winter for me so far means that I'm less antsy. I can settle down into writing something long in one go, drawing for an hour, studying for four, and singing for eight. Everything seems much more sentimental in the crisp air, that just seems to hang like one huge ornament off that blue sky we still have from summer and high winds that chase the clouds away...until those marvelously large rain drops come, and I get remarkably odd looks as I run from cover to spread my arms and bask in the rain, reflecting all the colors. all those verdant trees ;)
    Not to mention chocolate.
    It's the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As much as I love summer, I love, love, love fall. Especially early fall where the mornings are brisk and the afternoons balmy. Just basking in the beauty and enjoying snuggling up in the flannel sheets come evening.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!