(Caught snitching Swedish Fish, a new favorite and possibly a new form of currency as well.)
(BBJ and cousin Sophie. They look a little alike, right? Sophie's grandmother is BBJ's grandfather's little sister. Which would make Sophie's grandmother BBJ's great-aunt...and Sophie is...a little help here? KIN. She's kin. The girls are just a few months apart in age, but before this holiday season, had never met each other! I also enjoyed -finally- meeting Sophie's mother. We've been bloggy buddies for at least four years, but finally meeting Lo Gung's cousin was a neat treat.)
(The White Elephant Gift Exchange high point. Trust me.)
It's been a while since I have been able to spend New Year's with Lo Gung's family. They have some fabulous traditions! The most notable, of course, is the annual White Elephant Gift Exchange.
Through the years, several gifts have appeared over and over. There was the year that Uncle Ogo printed his own face onto a homemade stuffie doll. *shudder* Then, the most infamous (and currently MIA), Barbara's Bush. I'm not going to elaborate, but it's a Chia Pet.
*ahem*
(Please, really, don't ask me to elaborate.)
This year, there were a few interesting gifts, and several near-disasters. There were the itty bitty Japanese erasers that my niece collects...but didn't get the good fortune to open. (Luckily, her sister snagged them for her. Way to take one for the team, Kristy!) Then there was the Cinderella sippy cup that BBJ opened. When Uncle Ogo tried to take it, the look of utter terror on BBJ's face was enough to send him scurrying back to his seat. Fortunately, there was one more princess-themed gift to be opened (a small princess slap bracelet) which was procured and placed firmly in the lap of the other princess (Sophie).
The piece de resistance, however (pardon my french. heh) was the gift that the eraser loving niece did open. You can see it pictured above.
Anyone know what it is?
Fortunately, one of the guests at the party is a Physical Therapist and knew right away that KyKy had just found herself the proud new owner of a female urinal.
Hopefully, that gift comes back next year...in its current pristine and un-used condition.
Hope y'all had a great New Years as well!

That is too funny! You know we have a similar thing with some friends of ours and our kids look forward to it every year.
ReplyDeleteWe let the kids stay up a half hour late. Woo hoo, there's our New years :)
ReplyDeleteBarbara's Bush! I had no idea you were so naughty. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm going to agree with the 'naughty' comment. LOL Your New Year's was a lot more interesting than ours.
ReplyDeleteI like the look on the girls in plaid's face!
ReplyDeleteSadly, I knew what it was before you gave the answer. I recieved one for my 18th birthday. Yeeeeah.
ReplyDeleteOoohh.... that is GOOD! I am totally filing that one away. I am struggling to live up to my reputation year after year. This December, people in the husband's office were actually Quite Disappointed about the lack of an office Christmas party. They solely regretted the lack of a Tonggu House White Elephant Gift. Last year's was so very good, you see.
ReplyDeleteLOL, that's awesome! My parents had a Chia Pet (well, head really) that they passed back and forth for birthdays, Christmas, anniversary, Mother's/Father's Day, etc...until Mom made it disappear. I think she threw it away LOL.
ReplyDelete