Tuesday, March 16, 2010

American Idol, Week 4: Rolling Stones

*Like I tell you every Tuesday night - I'm about to tell you what everybody sings tonight, and how I feel about it. If you'd rather not know these details until the program airs in your area, please stop reading now! You have been warned. 


Well..it's Tuesday night! That means Idol. Tonight we get to see our Top 12 perform together, for the first time. The night's theme is Rolling Stones..and I'm looking forward to seeing how they all work within that framework.

Here we go!

1. Michael Lynche (Miss You) - Whew! This is a great way to kick off the show! The song has soul, and he's got swagger. The top notes are a wee bit flat sometimes, to me, but I think he hits enough right that it makes up for it. Great job, Big Mike! (Randy said he killed it. Ellen said she loved it. Kara said she delivered the swagger and attitude the night needed. Simon said he was really confident, but it was a smidge corny.)

2. DiDi Benami (Play With Fire) - Ooh....DiDi is on fire tonight. (No pun intended!) The sultry, angry eyes...the careful walk around the stage...I really think she's hitting on all cylinders tonight. If I had to make a critique...it would the the odd cankle-maker boots she's wearing. That's it! I loved it.
(Randy said she was on fire. Wait, Ellen, back up - she lost her way? During the song? I didn't hear it at all!) (Ok, I'm watching it again...and I think I saw her flinch between the first two mini-verses...oh, ok. At the beginning of the third "verse"/phrase, she stumbled over half a word. No biggie!) Kara said she was intense and compelling. Simon said he agrees with everyone and that she's beginning to show what kind of artist she's going to be. Solid, if not brilliant.)


3. Casey James (It's All Over Now) - Hmm...Casey, you kind of lost me tonight. I mean, he's doing an OK job on the song, but I think the arrangement (and crazy hair!) is all way too honky-tonk. A little over the top...and really repetitive.  I used to love her, but it's all over now. Sing, and repeat 4 times. (Ok, Randy loved it. Ellen...oh, Ellen, I love you. "For most women, their hearts are going to start racing as soon as they look at you. [Pause] But...for people like me... [Audience laughter]...blonds...I think...I thought it was fantastic." If you don't understand that joke, then I won't disillusion you. But it was pretty funny! Kara thinks he's a rock star , and Simon thought he under-utilized the arena available to him. So they don't agree with me at all.)


4. Lacey Brown (Ruby Tuesday) - I'm not sure what's wrong with me tonight. Lacey is singing well, but this seems so forced, somehow. The notes were kind of all over the place for me.
(The judges seem mixed, as well. Great voice, but pitch problems and a little sleepy. Simon hit it on the head - it was over thought.)


5. Andrew Garcia (Gimme Shelter) - I've gotta give him props for trying to use a big of the stage, even if he looks like a caged tiger...pacing, pacing. The song started out a little rough for me (even painful! pitchy! ouch!), but the ending was rockin' Not sure what the judges are going to make of it, but I wish he could have put a little of that ending energy into the beginning. (Randy says pitchy, Ellen says best yet, Kara says it was unemotional, and Simon says he gave it 100% but that rehearsals must have been better than tonight's performance, and that he hopes he survives.)


6. Katie Stevens (Wild Horses) - Well, I will say that this song showcases Katie's voice very well. Even if the lyrics are very, very repetitive. The beginning was pitchy for me, but in the end, she busted it out.  (Hmm. That seems to be a theme tonight.) Good job, Katie! (Randy says wee bit pitchy, but a strong performance. Ellen says it started pitchy but ended well. Kara said her performances are never perfect, but it's better. Simon says it's her first good song choice. He didn't like the second half, which was actually my favorite part.)


7. Tim Urban (Under my Thumb) - I'm not blown away. This guy definitely has looks going for him, though. The kid looks cool, and confident. Great voice, but the arrangement is so reggae, and not in a current way. The song just felt out-dated. (The judges all said the reggae was weird, so at least I'm not REALLY out of touch.)


8. Siobhan Magnus (Paint it Black) - (Really excited about this one since I saw someone mention it on Twitter already!) Ok, Tim, Andrew, take note. THIS is how you take care of a stage. This is how you perform a song. If you want quiet in the beginning, make it quiet and moody, not quiet and boring. End with a bang. (Umm, Siobhan, I didn't mean that quite so literally, but good on you for sticking with that note!) And that, y'all, is how you perform a song. H.O.T. Hot!
(Randy said it was hot. Ellen said Snookie's Poof, which made no sense to me, but I think it's a good thing. Kara said it reminded her of Adam Lambert. Simon said Stand Out Performance of the night.)


9. Lee Dewyze (Beast of Burden) - I feel like I'm listening to the radio, every time this kid sings. His sound is just so current, it almost doesn't matter what he sings. I got nothing but love for this. Even though he's standing in one spot, he doesn't seem as "stationary" as Casey did. Really, really great! (Randy said "dope", Ellen said it was good but she expected more, Kara said he's progressing and Simon said it was too safe.)


10. Paige Miles (Honky Tonk Woman) - Way to show off your big ol' voice, girl. Again, honky tonk isn't my favorite sound, but Paige is busting it out, and obviously having some fun. I don't feel like I've heard "her" style yet, though. Did I miss the country thing before? (Randy thought it would be weird, but it ended up ok. Ellen said she did great, and nobody could tell she was losing her voice. Kara said the same thing. Simon said the song was a bit generic, and old fashioned, but her big voice was great.)


11. Aaron Kelly (Angie? Energy? NJ? Beuller?) - I liked this! A nice, sweet country vibe. Really, really sweet. (Randy said it was great. Ellen said he copied her hair style and that his was one of two stand-out performances tonight - Siobhan being the other. Kara said it was connected and powerful. Simon said he was afraid for Aaron because it was Rolling Stones week, but that this was 100% the right song choice. It fit within the limits of his vocals, and it was great.)


12. Crystal Bowersox (You Can't Always Get What You Want) - I might be reading into this, but I've never seen her looking nervous before...and it might be related to a smidge of bad press that came out this morning. Her voice, as always, is perfect. I love how she set her own stamp on this song. It's bluesy and Just So Her. Always a crowd favorite! (Randy says not her best, but he still loves her. Ellen says it was effortless and started showing a bit of her personality. Kara said it didn't seem as cocky as previous performances, even though it wasn't her best. Crystal admitted she was distracted and had a lot on her mind. Remember that kids - Make good choices. There are no secrets in life. They always come back to bite you.  Oh, and Simon said for the first time, Siobhan out-sang her.)


Oh, wow. My picks to go home...this is so hard! The judges didn't like Tim Urban's take at all, but I really think he's got the entire body of High School Musical fans in the country rooting for him. So, he'll stick around for a little while longer. Lacey got mixed reviews. Andrew also got mixed reviews.

I'm gonna have to point my black axe of (blogger) death towards...Lacey and Andrew. Sorry, guys.

What did you guys think tonight?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update-my hubby was recording NCIS-so I wondered what happened with the show tonight! You were fast posting this review:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaaaa! ch131 is not working and I'm dying to watch! Do you know of any other way that I can watch online? :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!