Tuesday, April 6, 2010

American Idol, Week 7: Lennon & McCartney Week!

(Spoiler alert - here are my takes on what the contestants sang tonight. If that irks you, stop reading now. You're welcome.)
Here's your top 9!

1. Aaron Kelly (Long and Winding Road) - This is a great song for Aaron. He could get slammed for sounding too old, though...he definitely sounds much older than his 16 years. The song sounds a bit old-fashioned, but I like the bit of gravel he's thrown into his voice. Kind of mixed for me!

Randy says: Great voice, didn't like the arrangement. It was so sleepy, and should have been changed up more.
Ellen says: It's a big song to take on, and it felt like a long and winding song.
Kara says: When it all comes together for you, it works. I want to see a different performance next week - add some tempo!
Simon says (heh): You're 17, and the song was too old fashioned. You've got to become young and relevant.

2. Katie Stevens (Let it Be) - I'm not quite sure what to think. It's a squidge pitchy, and sounds ever so thin at the beginning. Second verse...she's beefing it up. I just got chills, so I guess that's a good sign! I'm not sure about the song choice, but I think she did an good job.

Randy says: Your best performance ever! Hot vocals, that's why you're in the top 9!
Ellen says:  A perfect example of changing it just enough.
Kara says: You came out, no excuses, and made the song your own. You are confident!
Simon says: You're doing what I told you - it sounded country! (Note: I could hear R&B AND Country tendencies in there. Weird...)

3. Andrew Garcia (Buy Me Love) - The song just jumps out and GRABS you in the first phrase! Very nice. (His look, unfortunately, is a major turn off. That kind of beard haze around his lower face, and the hair that is standing straight up. Hrm.) Great song, though! LOVE the energy and the vibe.

Randy says: A really solid performance, a little corny at times for me, but all in all it was ok.
Ellen says: First of all, you can buy love. Heh. Love it.
Kara says: I want to love it...but I don't think that I saw anything new from you this week.
Simon says: The band was overpowering your guitar, and made it really corny and old-fashioned. Kind of all wrong tonight.

(So, the judges really didn't agree with me. Who's right?)

4. Michael Lynche (Eleanor Rigby) - I like the arrangement...but something is off. Is he changing it too much? No. Is it flat...a smidge.  It's the ornamentation on the melody. I can hardly hear the melody through it all! He's right, though - the strings are gorgeous. I'm interested to say what the judges thing. At least it's not another love ballad!

Randy says: I'm not sure all of that worked, but the parts did work were GREAT.
Ellen says: Incredible. Some people might not like all the change, though.
Kara says: That was FIRE...and the DRAMA...and you sold the story. Parts of it were crazy, but you were COMMITTED.
Simon says: I didn't love it as much as the others. It sounded like something you'd hear in a musical. I didn't think it was contemporary, and I'm confused as to what kind of artist you are.

(Randy interjects - it sounds like something you'd hear on Glee. So...he's saying it's theatrical and musical-ish...but that's hot now, because of Glee.)

5. Krystal Bowersox (Come Together) - (Oooh...I TOTALLY pegged this one. Nice choice!)  I'm smiling. I can't help it. There's a big ol' red pipe instrument thing (didgeridoo?) and there's feathers in her hair, and that amazing voice. I can't help it! This is rockin'. Seriously, rockin'. Probably my favorite performance from her so far this season.  (Oops...forgot to face the mic there for a second. Tricky guitar fingering!) AWESOME vocals, but the guitar tripped her up a bit tonight.

Randy says: Solid, maybe not my favorite this season, but I love you.
Ellen says: I loved the didgeridoo. I just have to worry about a new way to tell you how great you are!
Kara says: My favorite performance from you. It was slinky, playful. You were more accessible tonight than other performances.
Simon says: THAT was something I could hear on the radio today.

6. Tim Urban (All my Lovin') - Lost me in the first phrase. It sounds so old already. That seems like a theme with him. Just...old fashioned. Michael Buble brought back the old crooner's style...maybe Tim can bring back 50's Rock n' Roll!

Randy says: You're in your own category so..."is it a good TIM performance?"  And it was.
Ellen says: That was the perfect song for you, and your second best after "Hallelujah."
Kara says: Your best performances are when you've got your guitar. You took a few of our criticisms, and I liked it.
Simon says: I thought you did really well tonight with that song. There were no gimmicks, just the right thing to do. It sounded really current. (Really?!) And you take criticisms like a man - no whining!

7. Casey James ( Jealous Guy) I am...not sure what to make of this. Acoustic - cool. Just him, his guitar, and a stringed bass. I'm still gathering my thoughts. It was heartfelt...but I didn't really get it. I couldn't hear it playing on the radio. Maybe in a concert, between more raucous hits? (The audience loves it!)

Randy says: Loved the acoustic guitar. Loved the sensitive side to you. I loved this. Loved that you did this. Wasn't perfect, but it was so heartfelt.
Ellen says: It felt like it was about somebody. Your best performance to date.
Kara says: You showed  a vulnerability. Tonight it was very tasteful on the acoustic. It's showing depth. I think you can even do more!
Simon says: Well, Goldilocks, it was the best performance of the night!


8. Siobhan Magnus (Across the Universe) - Man, I'm being really harsh tonight. But most of these notes are coming straight out of that cute little note of hers, and I just can't ignore that! It's definitely a different vibe for her, but I'm not sure it's working. It's so soft, so...I don't know. There are a few notes that pop out, and that's great, but this just isn't working for me tonight! The last note was great - why couldn't she sing it all like that?! I'm so confused tonight.


Randy says: I love watching everybody, wondering every week what you're going to wear, what you're going to do! I loved the tender side, the high note in the false (falsetto), I love the artistry in you. 
Ellen says: I'm a fan of people who march to the beat of their own drum. It was beautiful. Good job.
Kara says: From a purely singing perspective, you hit the notes. I thought it was very restrained, and very polite. We're not used to that from you. I couldn't hear that on the radio, but I'm still a fan.
Simon says: (She cleared up a few things - she's singing this song because she's here for her baby sisters, and nothing is going to change that.)  Last week was pretty disastrous last week, and this week was much much stronger. What's great about you is that you're unpredictable!

(Earl just came on stage and gave Siobhan a hug. Yes, really. Weird.)


9. Lee Dewyze (Hey Jude) - Yea for a happy face! He looks very relaxed tonight. I just love his musicality, his voice...LURVE. (yes, I did just. Thank you.) And now he's invited the audience to sing...and brought a bagpiper onto stage. Interesting choice. I like the audience participation. I am SO confused with the bagpiper. I understood the (obscure) didgeridoo with Krystal. That was just odd. Is it April 1st again?!


Randy says: THAT guy was funny, dude! (talking about the kilt dude). GREAT! Believe in yourself.
Ellen says: That was great, even when that guy got separated from his parade! It was a great job, I loved it.
Kara says: You feel more comfortable up there. There were some good moments, and a few off moments...but I can HEAR you on the radio.
Simon says: I don't know what y'all are drinking in the house...didgeridoos and a bagpiper! I wouldn't have done the bagpiper. Was it your idea? "100%." Awesome. It was great up....to that point.


Oy...who's going home?

My guesses are Tim Urban and...Katie Stevens? Sure. Why not. (Can you tell how decisive I am tonight?)

1 comment:

  1. For some reason, I'm liking Casey James a lot... :)

    Crystal is still my favorite, though.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!