For a church party a few weeks ago, I was in charge of making some cake and bread. Ming Wai really wanted to help, so I made her a cake all her own, frosted it, and then handed her bags of candy and a bowl of sprinkles. I think it turned out rather well!
(Oddly enough, the adults at the party didn't want to try her cake. They opted for the numerous plates of gorgeous brownies, trifles and cobblers that lined the dessert table. The tag-along children, however, thought her cake was delightful.)
PS - Did you know it is nearly impossible to find shoe-string licorice anymore?! How are children supposed to decorate cupcakes into kitty cats without shoestring licorice?? There are, of course, Twizzler pullaparts, which is what we used...but it's not the same.
PPS - I think I see a few finger smudges up there in the icing. I'm going to whistle and grin and pretend now that I'm not POSITIVE Ming Wai bumped the frosting, licked her fingers, wiped them clean on her shirt, and then kept right on decorating the cake, all while my back was turned. The cake that we took to church and served our friends. *gag* In my defense, I never intended to take it to church, so I didn't watch her very carefully. But she saw me baking all day to make things for "our friends" for the party. And then, we were trying to load up into the car and not forget anything and she was all "but I want to take it to our friends at the party!" and I was all "ok, fine, YES, just please get your shoes so we can go!" and I guess I forgot to check for finger smudges and....well, that's how these things happen, donchaknow.

Yummy! I'm sure the kids didn't mind.... you DID see Ernie's cake, right? With the sprinkle shellac?
ReplyDeletei had the best shoestring licorice at woodstock! amazing candy store. still craving it.
ReplyDeleteThat's a great idea to bake her her own little cake to decorate. I should do that. I don't like to say no when J & Z offer to help decorate, but I don't want the cake to be fully covered in M & M's and sprinkles either! :)
ReplyDelete