Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Mini Vacation, Day 3: Palmyra, NY

(Man! Life caught up with me, and I totally left y’all hanging! HERE is the third, and final, day of our mini-vacation to Palmyra, NY and Niagara Falls. Thanks for tagging along!)

For the third day of our mini-vacation, we started out with a leisurely breakfast, a (promised) dip in the pool, packing up, checking out, and heading back into Palmyra to see the few sites we had missed our first day.

 

Umm…which meant the E.B. Grandin print shop. This is…a LOT of pictures, so I’m just going to post them, with minimum commentary from me.

 IMG_6456 IMG_6457

(Book of Mormon in LOTS of different languages. English was first. Then…Welsh, I believe.)

IMG_6459 IMG_6460 IMG_6462 IMG_6463 IMG_6464 IMG_6472 IMG_6473 IMG_6474 IMG_6479 IMG_6480 IMG_6481 IMG_6482 IMG_6483 IMG_6484 IMG_6485 IMG_6486 IMG_6488 IMG_6493 IMG_6494 IMG_6495 IMG_6496 IMG_6497 IMG_6499 IMG_6500 IMG_6501 IMG_6502 IMG_6511 IMG_6517

( I kind of fell in love with the artwork hanging in the visitors center. A Danish painter, I believe. Oh, and an ANGEL Sister missionary who played with Ming Wai for a few minutes so I could pay attention to at least ONE part of the exhibit. Like I said, third and FINAL day of the trip. The two kids were DONE.)

IMG_6523

Our last stop was to the Peter Whitmer farm. It is on the original farmland, but the log cabin (I believe) has been reconstructed and moved from where it would have originally been. In these pictures, you’ll see the Whitmer log home, and a picture of the main room where the leaders of the Church would have met on the day the Church was founded.  Also, a picture of the visitor’s center/meetinghouse. It is smack-dab in the middle of…lots of nothing. Fields. Fields and farmhouses…and a big ol’ church with a gold dome on top. (You can hardly see it in the picture below, but it was a very gold-ish sort of gold. It stood out!)

IMG_6524 IMG_6527 IMG_6531 IMG_6532

4 comments:

  1. I need to share my scrapbooks with you about my trip. I love your pictures and it makes me want to dig my books out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip! I can't believe the amount of work that went into printing books back then. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!