I have to start with a little story. Once upon a time, I was an Office Drone. I filed papers, entered client data into a computer program, and kinda…sat in a closet by myself all day.
Too keep myself company, I went to the store and about a little plant. I named him Hector Protector…because he was dressed all in green. (Turns out, he was a Peace Lily, and would later sport some itty bitty white flowers.) Hector was a trooper. I would forget to water him on Friday afternoon, and come in on Monday to find a sad, wilted pile of leaves. I gave him a mug full of water, and by lunchtime, he was perked right up!
When my boss decided she’d had enough of me, I decided I’d had enough of office life, and went home to start my family. Hector came with he, and continued to Protect.
Until I moved to Connecticut. See, our moving truck couldn’t haul live plants. So, Hector went to stay with the fabu I, Wonder Woman.
Lucky for me, I, Wonder Woman takes good care of all things green, and he’s now back with me! Along with some other buddies. Would you like to meet them? (Why yes, I’m introducing you to my plants. Why do you ask? Doesn’t everybody?)
This is Hector Protector. He’s a little larger than the last time I saw him, but he sure is a sight for sore eyes!
This is my bamboo. I bought myself some bamboo in NYC, Chinatown last year, and was so proud of myself – it was the only plant that THRIVED in my Connecticut home. It’s great stuff – stick the sticks in water, and leave ‘em alone! Just top off the water every once in a while, and they’ll put out roots and leaves all by themselves. Unfortunately, the truck moving us back to Seattle had the same silly rules – no living plants. So, my bamboo is going with Miss Ice Cream Diaries. *sniff* Luckily, IKEA stocks these handy shoots, for only $1.99 a piece! So, for about $12, I was able to get myself some new lucky bamboo. Huzzah!
Now, this plant is Lo Gung’s. I’ve heard it called a lot of things. Lo Gung calls it a money plant because they say that if you take a leaf off from an office or a hotel, you’ll earn money as well as that office or hotel does. Heh. This particular plant started off as a single leaf, pilfered from a Big Wig in an Office Building, during an Important Meeting. When the Big Wig wasn’t looking, of course. If you can find yourself a leaf, bring it home and put the end into a bowl of water…and see what happens!
Oh, and look – here are some other old friends.
Cheers, y’all!
I figure I have 5 other mouths to feed and water so plants get no attention from me at all! If I find myself with one, I'll send it to your sis:)
ReplyDeleteI love Hector. Just so you know.
ReplyDeleteMy wedding ivy died last year. I told the husband it was foreshadowing the death of our marriage. Because I went away and he forgot to water my wedding ivy. And my wedding ivy died. *sob*
And now you are asking, "what in the world is wedding ivy?" Well, my wedding bouquet was made with roses, stephanotis and ivy. We took a cutting of the ivy and eventually planted it. It was my wedding ivy. And the husband killed it. *sob again*
But I forgive him. Really, I do.
Lovely, plants and children. I'm so glad Hector is still alive and thriving.
ReplyDeleteWeirdly, I also had a Hector: when I was hospitalized for a week with campylobacter in 1991, I named my wheelie IV stand "Hector My Mobile Metal Friend." He was keeping me alive, after all. :)
I have a confession: there were TWO flowers. The day before we returned Hector Protector, Mimi calmly walked up and tore the white petal off the largest flower. All I could do was gape, as she inspected what she now held in her hand. It took TWO YEARS for those flowers to come!! (Of course, if I'd been able to keep him in front of the window the whole time, he might have been more forthcoming with the blooms.)
ReplyDelete