Monday, July 5, 2010

An Afternoon at the Neighborhood Park

We had an unexpected sunbreak* this afternoon, so the kids and I ran down the street to the park. It’s literally right down the street, across from our mail box kiosk. Both kids know the way now, and there are so many kids living on the street, all of the drivers know to be careful. It’s so nice to be able to let the two kidlets hold hands and cross the street, without me shepherding them. (I am, of course, right behind them, but you know what I mean.)

I’m trying to get my Blogging Groove back, so I made sure to bring along the camera and snap a few pictures.

  IMG_6790 IMG_6793

You can’t see it, but in the corner of that cement pad up there is a manhole cover. Ming Wai made my day when she walked up to it, inspected it, and announced “This says bei Mommy, Daddy waan.” (This says “For Mommy and Daddy to play with.”) Siu Jeun’s Chinese, and language in general, has been exploding since we’ve been here. I’ve been hoping that the praise heaped on him will motivate Ming Wai to bring up her Chinese skills a bit. Apparently, it’s working! (She, of course, was praised to high HEAVEN for putting together a whole SENTENCE on her own.)

IMG_6796

There are loads of clover around the park. It was funny – that fuzzy little yellow guy that you see up there, and his comrades, were all over these pink clover. Five feet away, on some white clover, it was a completely different type of bee – fatter, sleeker, blacker. Strange!

IMG_6801 IMG_6802 IMG_6811

Daddy was able to take the day off work, so he joined us at the park for a few minutes. Doesn’t he look dashing holding my bouquet?

IMG_6804

The kids picked a bouquet of clover for me. They smelled divine!

*For those of you NOT from the Pacific Northwest, I’ll explain a sunbreak. It’s a common Weather Forecasting Term up here, and it means exactly what it says – a point during the day when the sun suddenly BREAKS through the cloud cover. Hence, a Sun break! Seattle isn’t so much RAINY as it is GREY. We like sunbreaks! It’s been a really, REALLY cold summer thus far. The high on the 4th of July was only in the mid-60’s. Luckily, we have a covered deck, so our BBQ went as planned. Still…my poor mother was huddled up next to the BBQ, eating her hamburger, trying to stay warm. Hope you all had a great 4th!!

6 comments:

  1. Pretty pictures! I missed you guys on Sunday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you did get a sunbreak. I would love if our park was just down the street! I love that!

    Such darling photos of the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your bouquet. It would be great to have a park so close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the smell of clover! Your kids are so precious to bring you a bouquet too:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww fun! We, could use a short break from the sun. Maybe a summer shower? Too much to ask? :) Look at me complaining... at least it is not winter, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the picture of the clovers. They are great. Maybe you can print it out and we can put it in the house. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!