For anyone keeping track, Mid-Autumn Festival was…well, it was weeks ago. We had a little celebration at home, with our cousins. A few crafts, a few books, a few snacks, and it was called Good. It wasn’t entirely traditional…but then, I wasn’t born in China. So, there ya go! A sort of an LoLo version of the festival. Without my Mother in Law here to help cook and plan, this was the best we could do!
(Yes, these are the lanterns this year. Yes, Cousin E made hers blue. What can I say – she likes blue!)
(The babies colored on red paper, and then we cut out lantern shapes for them to carry around.)
(Really, they just liked sticking pipe cleaners in their eyes. Oops!)
(Noodles are very traditional for festivals. They represent longevity. I’m not positive thin spaghetti is what they had in mind, but the kids all love it, and it’s quick to cook.)
(This is a moon cake. Any questions?)
The kids loved the noodles. MiMi was not impressed with the vegetables hidden inside, though.
Moon Cakes are filled with lotus seed paste, which is super sweet, and a salted preserved egg yolk, which is really salty. It’s also round and yellow like the full moon, which is why it’s kept around. Nobody I know actually enjoys eating the yolks, but my husband insisted that I buy moon cakes with yolks…because it’s what you do.
After dinner that night, we marched the kids down to the end of our driveway to look at the moon. There was complete cloud cover that night, and Siu Jeun could not figure out why I was making him walk around in the dark. He was not amused.
Ming Wai did enjoy her little lantern, though! We put a little tea light inside, and she was pretty happy with it.
Any questions?
It was a fun festival! And yeah, Mimi didn't think those veggies were terribly funny.
ReplyDelete