A few days ago, I was thinking about our neighbors. We have lots of really, really great neighbors. None of them are close friends with my children, though. They all seem to be just a little older, or just a little shy, or just a little busy…or just something. As I was pondering this dilemma, wondering what the next few years would look like for us on this street…my doorbell rang. It was my neighbor, MK. We share a driveway, and her children have induced a sort of hero-worship in my children. Their son, who is 5, will forever be known as Mickey Mouse. I’m not sure why…but that is now his name.
Mickey Mouse’s mother has a fabulous, generous, beautiful practice with her children. Whenever a holiday crops up that will undoubtedly result in more! toys!, she and her children go through their current stock, and cull out the ones that they have outgrown. These are boxed up and donated to either their nursery at church, or the local Goodwill.
Until recently.
They have found a new recipient. See, Mickey Mouse realized that he would have a better chance of getting what he really wanted for the holidays if he volunteered to donate his current version of the toy. So if he, for example, wanted a huge Hot Wheels racing track that could simultaneously race 15 cars and sing patriotic songs while doing so…well, he would have to find someone that might want his older, smaller track.
Heh. Well. That was easy!
As it turns out…Siu Jeun is really good at things mechanical. After raising Ming Wai for four years, it’s kind of spooky!
The car goes in…up…around…push this button…twist this lever…and ZOOM!
And can we have a moment of silence for those grubby, chubby little dude hands?
******
Thank you. I love those hands…almost as much as I adore his stinky little bear feet.
This toy is never put away…and, at $1 a piece, Hot Wheel cars are the perfect new bribe. I see some potty training in my future…and a lot more Hot Wheel cars! (Then again…Ming Wai was potty trained in four days. I hear boys take longer? Maybe I should pick a less expensive incentive. Like…toothpicks and marshmallows? )
And…may I point out my son’s attire? I would like to predict, for the record, that he will be one of Those Boys. If given a choice, he would wear basketball shorts every day of the week, in all sorts of weather. Why?! Aren’t sweats cozier?? I may never understand the male brain…but I do know that I need to figure out how to keep him stocked up with basketball shorts…or figure out how to make them!
Signed,
Aunt LoLo
PS – I posted a recipe for my super special “Uber Charged Chili” over at Chow Review today. It involves tofu. And squash. And it’s kind of crazy, but the kids ate it, and both liked it! So, maybe yours will too?
He IS super scary smart with the button things... :)
ReplyDeleteHe is so so sweet. And I did the $1 Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars as bribes for potty training. I know we have over 100 now after three boys. They are still there favorite toy, and I find them lining them up and using them for all sorts of fun.
ReplyDeleteI found TONS of basketball shorts at Kohls. Do you have one there? The ones I was looking for were baby sized, but they were only a dollar, and I got at least 8-10 pairs for a variety of gifts. So you should look there! Jeff never wore pants... he is a shorts guy, and he still wears shorts all the time... even in Utah at Christmas.
ReplyDeletehttp://gizmodo.com/5735789/mattel-video-racer-records-the-hot-wheels-pov
ReplyDeleteNext step
Little Boy is just now getting the hang of potty training...but he's on the slow side, even for a boy. My MIL told me that my husband was the same way.
ReplyDeleteI kind of wish my girls were mechanically minded. But NOoooooo, they want dolls :(
ReplyDeleteJk, I don't really care, as long as they play well
Cute. Last week on my plane ride to Minnesota, there was a girl that her sister and niece kept calling "Aunt LoLo"
ReplyDelete