Wednesday, March 16, 2011

American Idol, Top 12

Alright, y’all ready to feel old? This week, the contestants are singing something that was popular the year they were born. (Just in case you hadn’t heard yet, the youngest contestant? Is 15. Ouch.)

 

1. Naima Adidapo (What’s Love Got to Do With It, 1984) – She didn’t change the vocals much at all, but the instrumentals are definitely modernized. I’m not sure if she did enough this week, but I still like her.

Steven – You opened up a can of “whoop.”

Jennifer – You’re consistently pitchy, and it’s hurting you, and I’m worried about how you’ll hold up against everyone else.

Randy – You look great, but the vocals were all over the place.

 

2. Paul  McDonald(I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues, 1984) – Everything he does looks effortless. And that’s probably because he’s wandering around the stage like my four year old. Heh. That said, I love this guy. He left the instrumentals almost entirely intact, and didn’t do too much to the vocals…other than to sing them. Which is change enough, when you’ve got a crazy unique voice like Paul does. Overall, it’s OK. I’ve never loved this song, but he did a good job of it.

Jennifer – I know you felt like you were struggling up there, but you’ve got so much soul and star quality, you really made it happen.

Randy – Some of the notes were really pitchy, especially the first half of the song. What I like, though, is that you make everything your own. You put the “Paul” on it.

Steven – You define “loose.” You have such a distinctive voice.

 

3. Thia Meghia (Colors of the Wind, 1995) – First off, yes. I feel old. Now, moving past that, I love that she is loosening up to the point where I can hear what the judges heard in her. I’m just in a picky mood tonight, though. She chose a –Disney- song. It was so, so boring. And a little flat in spots. Oy.

Randy – The vocals were ok, but the problem that I’m having is you’ve been singing ballads every week, and it was a little boring. Nothing unique about it. You’ve got the talent – dig a little deeper!

Steven – Was that song who you think you are? (I thought it fit with current events. ~Thia)

Jennifer – Your vibrato is throwing you off. Work on that, and push out of the box.

 

4. James Durbin (I’ll Be There For You, 1989) – FINALLY, something with a little pizzazz to it. And that’s really the best I can say about. Great high note, but overall a little pitchy. (An interesting side-effect of putting all the contestants into one big mansion is…they’ve all got colds. Heh.)

Steven – Do me a favor: Don’t get too poppy on me. (And Steven and James just struck a deal. If James makes it to the finale, he sings Aerosmith…and Steven will join him.)

Jennifer – You just make me happy! You’re great.

Randy – There were a couple of pitch spots, but you figured out how to make it your own. You found a way to put your high note in, but not over-do it. Very tastefully done.

 

5. Hayley Reinhart (I’m Your Baby Tonight, 1990) – I’m kinda sorta speechless. The beginning was really crazy, sung in this sort of bizarre mix of three or four different voices. She brought it together by the end, though.

Jennifer – You look great tonight. When I see you performing, your voice sounds great, but your body looks so tense. You look like you don’t know which way to go. Just do what comes naturally!

Randy – I’m a little confused. You do Alicia Keyes, then a country song…it feels like you don’t know who you are. The vocals were ok, some of the releases are a little….yeah. Just figure out who you are.

Steven – So, that was sweet and tough. We want to hear more of what we loved. More blues.

 

6. Stefano Langone (If You Don’t Know Me By Now, 1989) – Great voice on this kid, and you can see his “personality” coming through on his intro video. Heh. But, he’s doing a great job on this song. He’s making it his, and he makes me like this song a bit more. Tough break on that last note though! (He didn’t have enough breath to finish it out.)

Randy – Stefano! The best performance of the night! You slayed it.

Steven – Beautiful phrasing, man. Over the top.

Jennifer – It was a perfect, perfect song for you. Sing out, connect more.

 

7. Pia Toscano (Where Do Broken Hearts Go, 1988) – Killing it. Of course she is. She’s Pia. This is a great song to showcase her voice.

Steven – You are why this show is called American Idol. You took that retro song and you nailed it.

Jennifer – I was so glad to hear you do something up-tempo! Perfect every time you get up there.

Randy – Every week, you are producing amazing vocals. You are in it to win it!

 

8. Scottie McCreery (Can I Trust You With My Heart,1989) – Loved it. Just…loved it. This kid is Country, through and through. And he’s totally loveable.

Jennifer – You did great, keep growing, keep learning.

Randy – You did Travis Tritt proud. You are staying in your Traditional Country land, and you can stretch a little more.

Steven – You just keep knowing who you are, and you’re going to go places.

 

9. Karen Rodriguez (Love Will Lead You Back, 1989 ) – This girl has soul. You can just feel it in every note. She doesn’t sound like a pageant, or karaoke, or anything else. She’s just her, up on that stage, singing her heart out. And doing it up bi-lingual. I don’t think she should stop – it can’t possibly hurt her!

Randy – It started a little rough, but by the first chorus, you were on it. Better than last week.

Steven – I love when you break into your ethnic what-it-is-ness.

Jennifer – I could tell you were a little scared when you came out, but I could tell that you attacked it. Sing to your strengths, never let your weaknesses show.

 

10. Casey Abrams (Smells Like Teen Spirit, 1991) – Wow. First Nirvana song on Idol EVER. I’m not sure what to say about this. You know I love me some Casey, but this is kind of weird for me. He looks insane, and is a little pitchy. That said, if this song defined a generation…he just characterized that. Like a caricature, in vocal form.

Steven – You’re crazy and talented – that’s the goop that great stuff is made from.

Jennifer – Those were big shoes to fill. You got a little screechy, and I wish it had been a little more pleasant.

Randy – What I’m most impressed with you, you put art first, and then think about commerce. You are fearless, and that’s what we need!

 

11. Lauren (I’m the Only One, ) – A little rough on the low parts. Again, the ENTIRE house seems to have caught the plague. They might re-think their housing arrangements next year… Anyhow, she’s rocking it on the high parts, and she has got Confidence, y’all. Loads of it. Love it.

Jennifer – Very nice! You know, we can hear your voice in that song, and you made it your own. Very good job.

Randy – That was VERY nice, so have a cold every week!

Steven – Sometimes when somebody gets a strep throat or whatever, they sing better! (It’s true! It drove me nuts in college, but I had my best voice lessons when I had a cold. Oy.)

 

12. Jacob Lusk ( Alone, 1987) – Little rocky at the beginning. And he pulled it out in the chorus. And then he went flat. When I hear him sing, I just want to sit him down and get him some point-blank vocal lessons. He’s OBVIOUSLY got loads of talent, and soul. And passion. But it sometimes get stuck on its way out, and I understand that. Still, a good ending for the show.

Randy – Very, very nice performance. You did step out of your comfort zone. You went sharp, but you found your way right back. I loved the big notes, but I’m glad you didn’t over-power the end. Genius, dude.

Steven – Your mama may not be able to sing, but your mama gave you the moxie to sing up there.

Jennifer – I love that you give yourself to every moment of every song. So amazing.

 

So. So…wow. What a very lot of retro songs. Favorites tonight are: Paul, Pia, Scotty, Casey.

 

Least favorites: Haley, Thia.

 

What did you guys think tonight?

1 comment:

  1. Yep. I'm older than ALL of them. Nice.

    (A cold=good voice lesson. Sudafed/dimetap= TERRIBLE voice lesson!)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!