Friday, May 17, 2013

Father Son Campout

Another week comes to a close. Lo Gung and I have been debating for several days whether or not he would actually head out with our four year old to attempt their first Father Son campout. In the end, he couldn't resist the novelty of it. We planned as much as we could, and could only hope for the best!

Today actually worked out better than we could have planned...if for some unfortunate reasons. The big kids have a gym class on Friday mornings with their cousins, before Ming Wai heads off to kindergarten at lunch time. My sister woke up with the flu today, and asked if I could be in charge of her 7 year old (Ernie) if she just dropped her off. I said of course, and to just pick her up later in the day whenever she felt like it. As I drove to the co-op for class, the wheels in my head started turning.....if Lo Gung was heading out with Siu Jeun for a night of dirt, s'mores and fire, perhaps I could put something fun together for the girls staying home as well?

My sister agreed, and Girls Night was on! I kept my niece for the day - she played with Siu Jeun while Ming Wai was at school, and then joined into the neighborhood afternoon soiree after school. (There is a roving band of kids that constitutes The Party. You find them after school, in somebody's backyard or simply cruising the sidewalk, and you are good to go.) While Ming Wai was at school, I took Ernie (7), Siu Jeun (4) and Ying Ying (3 mo.) to Fred Meyers for supplies. Let me tell you, when I went to back my cart up or turn around, people JUMPED out of the way. I must have been quite a sight! Cart full of marshmallows and chocolate bars, stopping suddenly every time I passed something I suddenly remembered I needed, plus all those arms and legs around me.

Lo Gung came home from work early and we got him all packed up and sent them menfolk on their way. A cooler full of hot dogs and chocolate bars, a bunch of blankets, their own pillows...and they were good to go. The plan was to sleep in the car tonight - I suppose I will find out in the morning how that worked out!

As the men drove their way halfway across the state to bond with other men who had also driven halfway across the state with sons and coolers their wives had packed, I settled down for a night of Girls. We kicked off the party with a little Kung Fu Panda 2, while nibbling on hot dogs, buns (separate from the dogs, of course), ketchup, s'mores, trail mix and pretzels. Sounds pretty balanced, right? I had the girls clean up the play room before bedtime, and then we piled a bunch of blankets and pillows in there for the Slumber Party.

I can confidently report that at 10pm, there was still no Slumbering, but plenty of Partying. Judging from Lo Gung's 10pm call to say goodnight, I believe he and Siu Jeun are in the same boat.  I think this evening is a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!