Baby Ying Ying started getting fussy for her nap around 8:15, so I had to get creative. I tried to tide her over until we left for church, thinking she could fall asleep in the car and finish her nap in my lap. It worked...kind of. She fell asleep during the 10 minute drive, and was then awake for the actual meeting. Not well rested, just...awake. After sitting, more or less, quietly through the first 45 minutes of church, she was done. I whispered to both kids to gather their stuff and follow me, then headed for the door before she started vocalizing her grievances against the world. I made it to the foyer, and turned around to see my children straggling out behind me. They had gathered up most of their stuff. Oh well - it wasn't like it was going to go anywhere. We could go back after the meeting and get it then. I was just turning around to try and figure out my game plan for my little posse, when a friend (Jana) stuck her head out the door. "Hey - give me your kids so you can go feed the baby in peace."
And just like that, my circus was disbanded. I was free to take my fussy 4 month old down to the Mother's Lounge and nurse her, or let her cry, or...whatever it would be that I decided to do with her. My kids sat with Jana and HER posse for the remainder of the meeting. You know what? It was a SIMPLE thing Jana did. She just saw me leaving the room, saw that I was alone with two kids and a fussy baby, and she offered to let the kids sit with her. It certainly wouldn't have been the end of the world if my kids had accompanied me to the mother's lounge. It would have been cozy, but it would have been OK. Still, I'm sure you can imagine how nice it was NOT to need to test that theory.
So, that is my thought for this Sunday. When you see a need, thinking of something you can do. Anything. It could be as simple as giving a smile or a hug to someone who looks like they need it. Oftentimes, those are the acts of service that make the biggest impact. So, go for it.
Now, for something completely unrelated.
Oh, what a difference a little filter makes.
No filter.
Ahhh. Filter.
(Those thighs, guys. THOSE THIGHS.)




She's gorgeous. And I wish every photo taken off me had this magic filter.
ReplyDelete