Friday, June 7, 2013

My Least Favorite Milestone (and we had a recital last night!)

Baby Ying Ying has been threatening this for quite some time.

Today she finally got that second arm out of the way and completed the maneuver: The Back to Tummy Roll. 

You know what happens after you complete the Back to Tummy Roll, right? Well, that leads right into Involuntary Tummy Time. Because once you get that second arm out of the way, it's quite a trick to learn how to tuck it back under you so you can get back onto your back. 

I'm not sure I've ever mentioned this, but...my babies have all hated Tummy Time, with a passion otherwise reserved for Shots, Dislocated Elbows and Delayed Meal Times. A screaming, writhing passion. 

I'm not gonna lie, y'all. It's been a little noisy around here today. (Also? I can't even begin to explain how confused she looked when I was applauding her for getting beached on her belly, while she insisted over and over, loudly, that I roll her back over or pick her up or do anything OTHER than sit there and clap. Poor wee lamb.) 

PS - For journaling purposes, I simply must add that last night was the recital for my small piano studio. I had 13 students performing, with all but the youngest two playing hits from the 50's. It was a toe tapping time, y'all. I kind of pulled rank, though, and gave in to one of Ming Wai's requests to avoid the tears and wailing that would have otherwise gone down. She got out of school at 3. At 3:10, on the walk home, she informed me that she was going to play in the recital. Never mind that she hadn't practiced any pieces, or even practiced the piano at all more than once or twice in the past four months. She was going to perform. We went straight home and I wrote out a simple piece for her, matching my other 6 year old student's genre (simplified children's church hymns). Bless her heart, she practiced until her fingers gave out. And I let her perform. Because, well...I can. Not a great reason, but she's always been so shy, letting her perform in front of 35 people when she wanted to seemed like the right thing to do. Like I said - I'm the teacher, and I do what I want. I'm a rebel like that. Lo Gung had the genius idea to hold the recital at one of our local church buildings. GENIUS, I tell you. There was a gym for the kids to run off their nerves afterwards, there were chairs for everyone to sit in (they usually cram their 35 bodies into my dining room, and line up on the stairs), and after a quick pass with the vacuum, I could walk away and be done. I think we will move all future recitals to the church building. 

PPS - Starting next week, Ming Wai will be required to resume daily piano practicing. Because I'm the teacher, and I say so. So there. 

PPPS - Happy weekend, yo. Hope you get to relax with people you like! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!