Wednesday, August 7, 2013

WFMW: FoodSaver

(WFMW = Works for Me Wednesday. In the which I share little hints, products or tricks that are really working for me right now.)

This...is a side of ribs that has been sealed with a FoodSaver. To use the FoodSaver machine, you place your food into one of their special bags, load the end into the machine, clamp down the lid, and hit a button. The machine then sucks alls the air out of your bag, and heat seals the end shut. It takes about 60 seconds.

Ooh. Pretty. 

The FoodSaver machine was a little less than $100 at Costco, so it wasn't super cheap...but it wasn't the $200 model, either. Let me tell you why it's worth it, though. We do the bulk (heh) of our shopping at Costco, a huge warehouse of a store that specializes in all things LARGE. Their quality is great, but we have a hard time eating things before they go bad. Packages of meat, especially, are an issue. I would never pretend that I needed to cook ten pounds of meat for one meal, so those packages always get divided up and frozen as soon as we get home. My old method was to put things in Ziploc bags, squish as much air out as I could...and hope for the best. The results, as you might guess, more often than not included varying degrees of freezer burn. 

We picked up this machine a few months ago, and have been really happy with it. It is really simple to operate, and can seal up just about anything. The only thing I've really had an issue with was when I took a huge bag of frozen fish filets, and tried to divide those up and vacuum pack them. Because the filets were so hard, the bags couldn't get a good seal around them. Oh well - live and learn. 

So - FoodSaver works for me! 

(This isn't a paid endorsement or nothin'. FoodSaver doesn't even know I exist. Just wanted to share a product I've been enjoying lately!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!