On my husband's side of the family, they have a propensity for making nicknames for girls using only the first syllable for the girl's name. For example, a Kylie would be KyKy or a Taylor would be TayTay. Easy enough, right?
When Lo Gung and I were trying to come up with names for our newest little baby girl, I knew in the back of my mind how the nicknames would play out....but there were simply too many factors going into the name choice for it to be a real game changer. (The process is fairly involved - Lo Gung and I pick a list of names, then run it by my family members for any bad history associations Lo Gung and I don't know about, and then by the Chinese grandparents to see which ones they can pronounce. We then choose our favorite English name from the resulting Short List. The process is repeated for the middle name, starting with the Chinese side of the family, since all of our children have Chinese middle names.)
Last week, as I was playing around with Baby Ying Ying, I began introducing her as Fat Baby. Fat Baby is 7 months old, 22 pounds, and wearing 18 month clothes. *oof* If the shoe fits, right? I shared the new moniker with Lo Gung that night, and we both giggled.
I need to pause here and give a vital information - Baby Ying Ying's English name begins with Ta. You can see where this is going, right?
Lo Gung then proceeded to put his spin on the name. "Hello, Fat TaTa!"
*facepalm*
(Image from Hunting For a Cure)


No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!