Monday, November 4, 2013

Halloween 2013

 (LaLaLoopsy Doll, Batman and Sherlock Holmes as played by Benedict Cumberbatch. Yes, he does love me a lot, why do you ask?!) (At the church Halloween party)
Our dragon baby with Grandpa (at the church Halloween party)

Only the brightest and best for my Halloween breakfast! 

Carving pumpkins is hard work! 

At Daddy's office party in the spooooooky hallway. 

SJ, dreaming big - Halloween candy, an office with a window, and a spinney chair. Hey, why do they even bother calling this "work"?! Looks pretty easy to him! 

On Halloween, I sent Ming Wai off to school in her costume, sans makeup. While she was at school, soaking up the knowledge, SJ and I carved some pumpkins. After lunch, it was time to help set up Ming Wai's class party. But...Baby Ying Ying had other plans. She was SUPPOSED to wake up and go to her Aunt's house while I helped with set up. What actually happened? She woke up just in the nick of time for me to cart both kids with me to the school to set up. (What is this "no siblings" rule of which you speak?) Most people didn't even know Ying Ying was there - I had her strapped to my back in the Ergo and she was silently grinning for an hour. SJ...well, come on. We were setting up in the lunch room. A room that big is just BEGGING to be run around in, right? We got things set up with no injuries to person or property, so I'll call that a win. We ran home, gathered what we needed for costumes, and then scooted back over to the school to pick Ming Wai up after the party ended. I painted up her face in the trunk of the car, and then we were off to Daddy's office!

The campus is huge, and each team/floor/building hosts their own little trick or treating shindig. Lo Gung's floor is...a little lacking in enthusiasm, but the kids had fun getting their little tour! BUT! What is this?! There's another building who sent out a memo - their staff would be dressed up as Disney Princesses! Their halls were festooned with elaborate decorations! Candy for all! Games! What are you waiting for?!

Traffic. That is what we were waiting for. At 4, we called for a shuttle. At 4:30, the shuttle arrived. At 5:15, we pulled up close enough to our destination to beg the driver to let us off so we could walk the rest of the way. (Total distance traveled by car? 1.5 miles.) Baby Ying Ying was beyond tired, may have had a dirty diaper, and all of her snacks and toys were in my car back at Lo Gung's building. She screamed for the last 20 minutes of the ride. Umm...Happy Halloween, fellow shuttle riders! *blush*

The second we disembarked, Ying Ying calmed right down and nodded off in her father's arms. Oh, and did I mention? The princesses were only staying until 5pm. So. Um. Yeah. Luckily, the kids are fairly easily impressed. There were still decorations everywhere, and there were stations scattered around where you could collect stamps on a passport map. Of course, all the maps were gone, but I just told the kids, "Hey! Look! You can stamp your hands!"

The kids? Had a blast. The adults just kind of wanted to lay down and take a nap. Even though the princesses were long gone, we could still see police directing traffic in front of the building, and absolute gridlock in the streets and parking lots.


After the kids collected all their stamps, we hopped onto another shuttle and made the 10 minute trip back to our cars. Lo Gung drove straight home and I followed a few minutes later, after I'd fed the baby. 

We were home just in time to shove some rice and eggs into the big kids' mouths before the boy child said, "Bye, Mom! I'm going trick or treating with the big kids!". 

And he was gone. 

Ming Wai sort of looked at me, rice hanging out of her mouth. "Uhh....Mom? Should I go with him??! I'm still hungry!" She wolfed down the rest of her bowl of rice, and ran out the door. I threw my own bowl of rice into the microwave with some leftover curry. When it finished, I pulled the hot bowl out, grabbed a spoon, and yelled over my shoulder, "Bye, honey! Have fun with Ying Ying!" 

The kids tore around our little street with the local horde, and then did the next street over. When Ming Wai's bucket looked like it was breaking, and SJ had convinced me to carry everything on him except his mask...it was time to go home. 


Happy Halloween, y'all! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!