Saturday, January 25, 2014

A Little Piano In the Morning

During the day, I am Mom, Mommy, Mama. After school, three days a week, I am Teacher, Miss LoLo, or Sister LoLo. I teach piano to a dozen or so kids, and have done for the better part of 8 years. With that many students cycling through the house, week after week, year after year, my own munchkins were bound to pick up a little bit of something. It warms my heart when I see my kids naturally doing what they've seen me drill into students, over and over. 

Sit up straight. 


Ignore distractions.


Fingers curved. 


Wrists flat. 


Eyes on the music. 


(My kids, and all of my students, use the Piano Adventure series from Faber & Faber. It is available on Amazon, or in any local music shop. SJ is in the pre-reading books, and I absolutely love them. Lessons take 10-15 minutes each, there is very minimal "homework", and they spend a lot of time just getting the kids to form new levels of hand-eye coordination. This is just FYI, and completely my opinion. Other than having my info on file as a teacher, Faber & Faber has no idea I exist or talk about them. Just so's you knows.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!