Monday, January 13, 2014

The one where we switch phone carriers, and the Seahawks won!

Sometimes, God is quite literal, isn't he? Last night, Lo Gung and I sat on the couch, playing away on our little electronic devices, and we got to talking about being introverted...and being hard to label. Lo Gung gets tired, quickly, of talking to people, but at the same time really doesn't like to be completely alone. I get that. I also mentioned to him that, yesterday, I REALLY wanted to be alone. Completely alone. I contemplated sending him to his mother's house a bit early with the kids, for dinner, so I could just sit and stare at the wall for 20 minutes. I didn't do it, because I was hungry, but I thought about it!

So, last night, I put the baby to bed at 9:30 and got 45 minutes to blog and decompress. Baby woke up once at about 2:15 and was back in her crib 30 minutes later. She woke up one more time at 6:20...and was back in her crib 30 minutes later. Big girl doesn't need to get up for school until 7:30, two littles are still asleep, Lo Gung left 20 minutes ago for an early morning tennis court time..and I am alone. It is blissful, and I am more than a little grateful.

On Friday, Lo Gung and I left our three kids with my in laws so we could get out for a date. We are extremely lucky - we have three ladies (two grandma's and my twin sister) within a 10-minute driving radius to us that are able to watch our three kids without much fuss. It takes a few days notice, but Lo Gung and I have been able to enjoy fairly regular "dates" our entire marriage. (If you can POSSIBLY find such ladies, or arrange to trade babysitting with a friend, I highly recommend you institute a weekly Date Night. It's amazing to be somewhere where you don't hear "Mom? Mom? Mom? Mom? Mom? every 10 seconds. Love the munchkins...and I love them even more after 2 hours away.) Anyhow. Date. We grabbed a quick dinner at Chipotle (love), and then headed off to...T-Mobile.

I have to tell you - I have been a loyal AT&T customer since my first phone at age 16. At the time, my father worked for AT&T, and later, my sister did, too. However, in the intervening years, my family has slowly lost all business ties with the company...and now nearly all service ties, as well. It will take me a little while to get over my feelings of guilt whenever I look at the little T-Mobile logo on my phone screen! With the switch of carriers, I switched phones as well. I'm back on an iPhone...and I'm happy. That is all. There are some things I miss about the Windows Phone - live tiles are a really beautiful and awesome thing - but in the end, the apps were either not available, or the quality was simply not up to snuff.

On Saturday, we hosted a football shindig. Turns out, I am not a huge football fan..but I do love to get together with people and chill on the couch, munching on treats, while our kids all play nicely upstairs, and we all root for the same team. (Seahawks won! Hooray! #12thMan #Beastmode)

A few weeks ago, we had a similar gathering for BYU and UW. The old adage is true - a house divided cannot stand. That was a dark day in our home. I couldn't win - if hubs' alma mater won, I was a loser. If my alma mater won, hubs would be sad, and I was still a loser. We've decided we enjoy sports viewing parties MUCH more when we are all cheering on the same team.

(Lo Gung, Siu Jeun, and the shirt they later used to decorate the baby for the game. This was before UW beat BYU. They weren't smiling by the end of the evening.) 

Sunday was a quiet day. I had to leave the house in the morning to sing in a neighboring congregation ("Where Can I Turn for Peace"). I came home and had about 45 minutes to help get my brood fed and out the door. They were all dressed, but we were still late to our own church meetings. Funny how that works, eh? Lo Gung stayed for the first hour, and then went home to take a nap - he's fighting a cold, and there have been wind storms the past few nights that have kept him up. He was feeling pretty poorly. He came back two hours later to pick us up, we had a quiet afternoon at home, and then had dinner at my in laws house. Such a nice Sunday! 

A quick re-cap of my lesson I taught on Sunday. We talked about what we know about the Godhead. (For reference, we belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Commonly known as the LDS Church, or the Mormon church.) We know that the Godhead is comprised of three people: Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost (Matthew 3:16-17; John 14:16; Acts 7:55-56; 3 Nephi 11:4-11; Joseph Smith - History 1:17; Articles of Faith 1:1). We know that those three people are three separate people. We know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have physical bodies, similar to our own (Gen. 1:27; Luke 24:39; John 1:14, D&C 130:22), and that the Holy Ghost has no physical body yet. We know that the three of them are united in purpose, not actually united in one body (John 17:21; 1 John 5:7; Alma 11:44; D&C 20:28). It was a good lesson, and great to get all the scripture references in one place. I am grateful for the knowledge I have of the restored gospel - that through living prophets, and revelation, hundreds of years of darkness and apostasy can be remedied. 

And to close? This shot my Dad caught of his house last Friday, after a rain storm. This is where I lived in high school and college. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!