Thursday, November 15, 2007

BBJ Gets a Present


My great grandmother made quilts. Really made quilts. I can picture her, sitting in a rocking chair, carefully piecing her latest creation together. She had long, gray hair, always twisted up into a low bun and held in place with just pins. I always envied her that - my hair never wanted to be held in place.
Her quilts were made of necessity. They show me a woman who made everyday things beautiful, just because she could. A quilt is not hard to make if you only want to stay warm. She made it into an art.

I received one of her quilts when I was a little girl. It sat on my bed for years. It was almost two decades before I ever realized the importance of it. Today, BBJ got one of her very own. It actually matches the one that I have. I'll keep it for her, and I'll make sure she understands the importance of a quilt handmade by her great-great-grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!