Thursday, April 24, 2008

We're On the Move!

Oh, kids...this is it. The Movers and the Packers came today to move and pack. BBJ and I left with Wonder Woman and Cousin Ernie to go visit Grandma. We had a lot of fun, feasting on a country fried lunch, courtesy of Grandma's youngest sister, visiting from the Deep South. Oh, the vicious DELICIOUSNESS of cube steak and gravy with biscuits!

This Thursday at Grandma's has been a tradition since shortly after BBJ was born. I've loved getting up there and spending time with her, and I think she's enjoyed the absolute ruckus of having two toddlers in the house for a few hours a week. After a tearful farewell, BBJ and I left...and BBJ promptly fell asleep. Cousin Ernie followed suit shortly thereafter. Hmm...

Sweet Wonder Woman must have driven 60 miles, letting the girls sleep for at least an hour. We turned around before we hit the Pass. (We knew we were getting close as the snow line got closer and closer. Eek!)

After the girls woke up, Wonder Woman drove us all up to Mom's. I left BBJ there with her and borrowed Dad's rented TRUCK. This is a huge truck, and I felt quite official driving that thing around! By the time I got back to the house the Movers and the Packers had packed...but they hadn't moved! All of our possessions were in boxes, tagged..and covering every available inch of my Living Room and Garage! Hmph. I'm still not quite sure how that part worked. Granted, the Estimator had GROSSLY under-estimated our stuff. (He said we'd need 6 boxes for Household Goods. Umm...yeah. We needed 24 boxes, just for Household Goods!)  I guess they got discouraged, because they left at 3:30 instead of 5, like originally planned.

We spent a few hours with my little sister's help washing BBJ hand prints off the walls, washing the windows, scrubbing down the bathrooms, checking all the cupboards, sweeping the cobwebs out of the crannies and dusting the baseboards. The last thing we did was vacuum. WHOA. Now, I do occasionally vacuum my home. However, the rooms aren't large and there just wasn't room to move the furniture to vacuum underneath it. Until now. Sweet Louh Gung had to empty the vacuum chamber 3 times just on the upstairs! Can you say eww???

My good friend Leiana brought us a delicious dinner, and quite gourmet! (The poor thing wanted to help clean as well, but by the time she arrived, we'd finished! She was sad, but recovered quickly.) She brought a yummy salad, an orange, carrot sticks and chicken enchiladas. Being the thoughtful, sweet woman that she is, she also brought in paper plates and forks. Everything was delicious.

Finally, we unloaded the refrigerator and freezer into boxes and I took off for Wonder Woman's house. Louh Gung loaded the luggage (and BBJ's desperately needed bottle!) into his car and took off for Mom and Dad's house. After some goodbyes (and a meet up with sweet Kathy & Co!) we all reconvened at Mom & Dad's house...and the day was over.

It's such an odd feeling, knowing that I'm never going back to that house. Knowing that this is no ordinary vacation - when we go "home" it will be on the opposite side of the country, literally! I know it is only for two or three years...but, come on! Put it in perspective - I MET Louh Gung in January of 2005. We've only known of each other's existence for two or three years! So far, BBJ is taking the changes really well. She was a little upset this morning when she came downstairs and everything was all messed up...again. All cords were unplugged and coiled, waiting for the Packers. Things were piled, or just grouped together.

Tonight, BBJ was just a sweetie. She's sleeping in the Crib at Grandma's. We went into the Baby Room, sat on the floor, sang our songs, said our prayers, she climbed into bed and went to sleep without a peep!

We leave in the morning for California - I'll keep y'all posted!

3 comments:

  1. What a crazy day! I hope you have a great time in CA and that all your stuff is in CT when you get there :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels to my side of the country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a safe and fun journey! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!