Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Cry for Help

Hey, y'all...because you're smart, and I'm pregnant...what am I having for dinner?

In my freezer,I have pork neck bones (I made a killer soup last night), chicken breasts and ground beef.

In my fridge, I have POUNDS of carrots, two parsnips, green onions, ginger, grated cheddar cheese, a half a can of tomato paste and two onions.

In my pantry, I have rice, noodles, some canned tomato sauce, canned tomatoes, some canned beans and various Chinese/Asian ingredients (seaweed, dried salted veg, etc.)

Am I having chicken noodle soup for dinner? If so, does anyone have a great recipe, using those ingredients?

Also, I'm having a friend over on Saturday for dinner. I'm in charge of dessert. What do I make? (Oh, did I mention she can't have wheat...or dairy? Or chocolate, technically, but I've never known her to stick to that particular guideline.)

Help! Serious Eats usually gives me just the right inspiration...but I may be frantically watching Food Network this afternoon trying to figure out what I'm going to cook!

3 comments:

  1. I've got a great chicken soup recipe that's, sadly, not written down anywhere. I learned it the way C did -- "This was my granny's soup, and you add this, and that, and this, and that, and..."

    But it would generally fit your ingredients, I think, if you have chicken broth?

    I chop up fresh ginger (usually use a piece about the length of my thumb, and however fat around it happens to be) into long strips, drop that into a pot with salt, pepper, and coriander to taste as well as chopped garlic (if you have it; if not, garlic powder works) and 1/4 of an onion. Add some olive oil and let them sweat until the onions are soft.

    Then I add 32oz of chicken broth, and bring it to a boil. Turn it down, let it simmer for 30 mins or so. Meanwhile, I cut up the chicken (lots, 'cos I like lots of chicken) and cook it separately in a pan in a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic (can you tell I like garlic?!).

    When the chicken's cooked, I add it to the broth, as well as a bunch of frozen veggies, because I'm really bad about eating fresh veggies, bring it back to a boil, and let it simmer again until everything's cooked.

    I don't usually add noodles (for obvious reasons), but sometimes I do cook quinoa with the broth. Also, the longer it simmers, the more gingery it is (which may be good or bad, from your PoV; I love my soup hot :)

    Don't know if that helps, since I don't really have measurements other than "some of this" and "some of that," but it's really a taste thing, and it is C's granny's recipe modified for a modern American kitchen. ;)

    As for dessert...I can do dairy! I can't drink milk straight, but i can do anything else (butter, cream, ice cream, etc.) without major side effect, so don't let that limit you. I also have gluten-free brownie mix from Trader Joe's, if you want me to just bring that. ;)

    See you Saturday, and good luck with Dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want cataloupe and whatever else you want to cook. Love, your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm....gooey rice crispy treats. Nobody makes gooey rice crispy treats anymore, and they're the BEST! You can even put M&M's in if you like chocolate (but why would you do that to perfectly nice rice crispy treats, I'd like to know??)

    Dinner...you got me there. I lost my mojo last week- managed to ruin biscuits, fried chicken from the freezer, cake from a box, and boiled corn on the cob last night! Not one of my better moments :o( You know I always cook beans, rice, and pao de queijo for guests :o) And now you have the Brazilian grocery store...no excuses for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!