Saturday, May 31, 2008

Intruders and Miracles

So...I didn't take any pictures of our excitement, but I was too busy freaking out.

Friday morning, BBJ and I took the garbage cans outside, and I let her play in the driveway for about 15 minutes. When I asked her if she was ready to go take her shower, she shouted, "Yes!" and ran inside. She waited patiently at the foot of the stairs for me to take her PJs off and we ran upstairs to get the water hot. I washed her hair and noticed a little "owie" on her shoulder, near her chin. I brushed against it and noticed it was loose...like a flap, that flipped back and forth. I looked closer.

The "owie" had legs...and a name: Mr. Tick.

I had the presence of mind to finish washing the soap out of her hair. I wasn't so lucky - I never even got soap in mine. I dried her off and put a diaper on her...and, again, had the extreme presence of mind to get some clothes on before I started freaking out. See, I'm brilliant like that. In the back of my mind, I was thinking to myself, "Self? There's a small chance you may need to run up to your neighbor's house in a few minutes, and there's a HUGE chance, should that happen, you'll really wish you were wearing something more than your husband's robe."

It's a good thing I listen to myself.

I also knew I was going to start crying soon, because this qualified as a "stressful situation" and I am pregnant. The crying was a given. I had a limited window of time to call my friends for help.

I called one of my girlfriends, a nurse, and asked her what to do. She gave me some advice (drown the sucker in a cap full of rubbing alcohol and he'll come out.) I don't have any rubbing alcohol - the movers wouldn't move alcohol. I thanked her and called Lo Gung.

As soon as I hit "send", I knew I was about to lose it. By the time he picked up, I was having a hard time keeping it together, and I knew it was going to freak him out! I gasped out, "Honey? Do we have any rubbing alcohol?" In my mind, I knew I would scare him with the crying and cryptic request, but it was all I could get out. He told me no, and I filled him in on BBJ. She, of course, was having a blast, running around the house in nothing but a diaper. After I hung up with Lo Gung, my Bishop's wife called. She's also a nurse, and my friend called her and asked her to call me and talk me through it. :-)

She also has three very active boys, and a LOT of experience with ticks. She told me to find a razor blade and scrape a THIN layer of skin off, which would remove the tick. Since I don't have a razor blade that I felt comfortable using (ie - one that wouldn't give my daughter tetanus as part of the bargain), I went the tweezers route. I hung up with that nurse friend, and Lo Gung called me back.

I got BBJ all set up in a chair, in a sunny room, with a bag of fruit snacks and a toy. It ended up working out perfectly - she talked to Daddy on the phone, freeing the Tick side of the neck for me to work on. She ate as many fruit snacks as she could before I finished my operation and took the bag away. As is usual with BBJ, the part she hated MOST was me holding her still so I could grab the tick instead of her tender skin.

We went out to the drug store and bought some rubbing alcohol and a new pair of tweezers, better suited to removing ticks and splinters and such, and went back home, mission finally complete.

It was funny, though it all, I kept thinking of all the mini miracles.

1) My first thought was to burn it off, like I saw my mom do when I was a kid. (Unfortunately, the "tick" she found on my brother was actually a little mole that she hadn't noticed before...but it would have been a huge tick, if it was actually a bug! Poor brother...) I got out of the shower and looked through all my drawers, looking for a book of matches. I could not find a single match in the whole house. That night, when I was getting ready for bed, I found a half-full book of matches on my bathroom counter. I think God hid it from me so I wouldn't try to burn my poor baby!

2) My friend knew just who to call to help me, and she was available and had ample knowledge, and time, to talk me through the process.

3) BBJ never even knew what was going on - I think she liked it. She got to talk to Daddy on the phone and eat as many fruit snacks as she could hold. What's not to like?

4) I found the tick, most likely, within half an hour of it attaching itself. I called a pediatrician that afternoon and told her the scenario. She said that the likelihood of the tick transferring the Lyme Disease bacteria, if attached for less than 48 hours, was "slim to none." (The tick was still smaller than a poppy seed, and nearly perfectly flat, when I found it. Louh Gung thinks it was there longer, and BBJ has exceptionally thick skin. That's his story, and he's sticking to it!) (Dad, that reference is for you!)

All is well that ends well. I was grateful BBJ was so brave, and grateful for all the people who came to my rescue! I asked Lo Gung, that night, what he thought had happened, when I called crying and asking for rubbing alcohol. He told me that his first thought was that I had somehow slipped and stabbed my baby in the arm with a pair of scissors. A very detailed conclusion, but still...it's disturbing. Honey, don't you trust me? ;-)

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you didn't slip and stab poor BBJ with scissors. I'm also glad you were able to get the tick out, I don't know if I could have done it! I like your new header pic :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO scary. I would have cried to--(and I am not even pregnant---so no excuse.) How lucky was it that BBJ was so relaxed and good tempered about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well.

    Drat.

    Not a fun experience.

    On the bright side - now you know what to do.

    Sort of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! I'm glad everything turned out okay... I also would have had no idea what to do. And I don't think Rachel would have been nearly as good!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!