Saturday, June 28, 2008

Daring Bakers and Danish Braids

When I saw the Daring Bakers challenge for June, I was moderately excited. Bread is something I have been making for about 16 years. Not well, not often...but I have experience. (I even have the 16 year old Bosch to prove it, but that's another story for another day.)

With BBJ helping me every step of the way, I tackled this months' challenge - Danish Braid. It's a pastry made with laminated dough (dough layered with butter and follded and chilled and rolled and folded and chilled and...you get the idea. Think croissant, but with a little yeast added in.) flavored with orange juice, orange zest, cardamom and cinnamon. It was something I never would have attempted on my own (especially not in June, on the East Coast!) and I was very excited.



I followed the recipe, omitting the vanilla beans ('cause really, who's ever got those on hand?) and I used a home-canned apple pie filling instead of the one from the recipe. (It's still homemade, right?)




After two days and lots of waiting, the braid was finally done...and it is AMAZING. I expected to learn some new techniques with Daring Bakers...I never expected to find something I would plan on making over and over! This could be a signature brunch dish. Even Lo Gung liked it - and he doesn't like treats.

13 comments:

  1. Wasn't his awesome?! Yours looks perfect! So glad I dropped by....

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible, I wish I could have some

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Great job on this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job... beautiful braid! I'm glad you and so many others enjoyed this challenge as much as I did!

    Care to share your apple recipe? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't even begin to tell you how much I am drooling.

    I.WANT.A.PIECE!!!!!!

    Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your braid looks fantastic! Perfectly browned. BTW, your banner pictures is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delish! Sounds like a great use for our apple pie filling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on your DB challenge. It looks so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty . . . gorgeous job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, that is beautiful and looks so yummy! Quit posting food when there are pregnant women looking at your blog! : )

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!