Just in case this is the only chance I get to post today, Happy Thanksgiving!
I was up late last night mixing and pre-baking crusts. I got my sweet potatoes boiled yesterday, drained, cooled, peeled and then sliced into a pan with crushed pineapple. I peeled, mashed and drained the LAST of my (100+ lbs) of pumpkin from Halloween.
So far this morning, I have mixed up a triple batch of bread for rolls, made Homesick Texan's chocolate pie, and Martha Stewart's pumpkin pie.
Left to do: Dorie Greenspan's "Thanksgiving Twofer Pie" (TWDers - I finally got the book!) (this is a pumpkin pecan pie. Yummy!); mix up the glaze for the sweet potatoes and bake those so they're warm when I leave; wait for my bread to finish its first rise, form it into rolls, give it a second rise, and then bake them. My rolls are fine cool, so I'm not too worried about that.
To all of my American buddies out there - Happy Thanksgiving, and merry baking! What are YOU cooking today?
To all of my buddies who don't celebrate Turkey Day - We love you, and would send you ALL of our dry turkey breast meat if we could!
To my family - Have a very happy Thanksgiving, and...don't you wish YOU were eating my pies and rolls this year? Hmm...maybe next year Thanksgiving is at MY house! ;-)
I likewise spent last night making crusts (gluten-free!), and now have a pumpkin and a banana cream pie sitting in my fridge waiting for the slaughter. Also, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, bread (gluten-full, but that's C's thing), and -- of all things -- ratatouille and polenta.
ReplyDeleteWe're having a bunch of vegetarians over this year, so on top of the turkey (which we brined last night; will slip it in the oven this afternoon) we're having a couple of main vegetarian courses as well.
Today's cooking includes a green bean cassarole, stuffing (gluten-free!), gravy (gluten-free!), and mashed potatoes.
We may be, ah, a little ambitious...but it'll be yummy!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Wow, you really know how to do Thanksgiving! The only thing I cooked was a frozen peach pie...the rest of my family is doing everything else. Yeah, I'm a Thanksgiving slacker. ;)
ReplyDeleteWow, I have never made rolls, ashamed to admit but true.
ReplyDeleteI did turkey, 2 potatoes, peas, butternut squash, stuffing , cranberry and a very yummy gravy. I guess I wasn't a total slouch.
HAPPY DAY TO YOU!!