Thursday, November 6, 2008

Why I Love My Job

(BBJ at the ward 4th of July Party, July 2008)

Last night, Lo Gung and I were chatting about my quirks. (To the lovely ladies who have tagged me to share my quirks...I'm sorry I'm such a slacker. I can't think of anything I haven't already blabbed here, and Lo Gung was cranky last night and couldn't come up with anything worth sharing. *cough*)

Anywho, one of the quirks we came up with was that I am innately messy. I leave little messes everywhere I go, and I clean them all up every so often. I told Lo Gung that I don't like housework, but I dislike office work even more...so here I am. He was confused - he thought housework referred to taking care of BBJ, cooking dinner, buying groceries, etc. I corrected him - I hate cleaning the house. Making messes, I love.


It got me thinking - why do I love what I do so much? My boss is arguably more difficult to please than any boss that ever paid me. My hours are longer than any job I've had before. I don't get sick days, or Paid Time Off, or even holidays. I don't get a lunch break, or a pay check.



So, what do I get?



(BBJ "helping" Mommy in the kitchen, Summer 2008)

I think it's the job satisfaction that keeps me here. I get sticky kisses at nap time, and sleepy ones at bed time. I get slices of half-chewed apple that my toddler just wants to share with me. I get quiet moments while she's coloring or eating or just singing to herself, so I can soak it all in. In the morning, I get a toddler calling my name. "Mama? Mama?" I love how she always assumes I'm there, ready to help.


I love setting my own schedule, too. This drives Lo Gung nuts sometimes, but I get things done when I remember to do them. If the project wasn't my idea, unless it's written on a list somewhere (hint hint!), chances are...it's not going to get done in time. Take today for instance - it's 1:30. I'm in my PJ's. Shower wasn't high on my list of priorities today. BBJ and I tidied up. We carried a few loads of books downstairs to put on the bookcases there. We read stories, washed laundry and folded the clean loads. We made bread, and ate an unhealthy amount of pumpkin bread for breakfast. Yes, BBJ is still in her PJs. It works out - she's asleep right now, so at least I know she's comfy!


Maybe we'll get dressed when she wakes up. Maybe not. Today I am just enjoying having a Mom n' Me day. My house smells like freshly baked bread. The rain is pouring down outside. My baby is finally asleep, and I'm catching up on my blogging and trying to plan a fun way to celebrate an anniversary with Lo Gung.


Today is a good day.




(BBJ's first, and last, art project involving markers. Spring, 2008)

3 comments:

  1. That last picture is scary! Cute post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait? I was supposed to shower when the Tongginator was a toddler??? Maybe THAT'S why I didn't have any friends.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!