Monday, January 19, 2009

How I Met Your Father, Pt. 4

(If you are just joining us, please go read the rest of the story first.)
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

We had our first date a few days after that - he was going to dim sum with some former co-workers, and invited me along. I needed some thing at the shopping mall across the street, so he went with me after dim sum to go shopping. (Remember what I prayed for?) He carried my bag of hair spray and nail polish remover...and tried to hold my hand. I felt 12 again...I had no idea what to do. I still didn't know that I was attracted to him - habits gained during a mission take a long time to die! So...I did nothing. My hand happened to be balled into a fist when he reached out to hold it...so that's how I left it. (Yes, really.) I talked to him later about it, and he was surprised...so surprised, he just continued to hold my hand for a while.

That date started a trend...and we went out every weekend after that. There just wasn't a reason not to! We enjoyed each other's company, and we had fun together. We became "exclusive" pretty quickly, before we even thought about it. We continued to attend choir together one night a week. We had another class together the next night. The next night, I would go to the church building to watch him play volleyball and cheer him on. We saw each other on Friday and usually on Saturday, too. We had church together on Sunday...and then started the whole thing over again. Are you counting with me? That's one night out of the week that we didn't see each other.

By March, we had come to know each other very well. We still enjoyed each other's company a lot and never ran out of things to keep us entertained. When we stopped to think about what we had in common, though....we were stumped. As near as we could tell, the only hobby we both shared a passion for was...eating. Luckily, I loved to cook and he could cook Chinese food for me. Soon, we were meeting at his house after work for dinner. Basically, we were playing house.

Sometime around the middle of March, I attended a session in our temple with some other youth from our congregation. Lo Gung wasn't able to attend that evening, so I was there without him. Our temples are a great place for reflection and prayer...and sometimes, answers to prayers we haven't even prayed yet.

As I sat in the room, performing ordinances for people I had never met, people who had passed on a hundred years before I was born, I heard a voice in my head, almost chuckling.

"If he asked you, you'd say yes."

It only took me a second to realize what the voice was talking about...and another three seconds to realize the voice was right!

4 comments:

  1. You all are such a great couple I love this story and how you have presented it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole series is so sweet. And I have to ask, not being Mormon and all... what with the fist hand-holding and mission trip habit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh... and that wasn't meant to be a disrespectful question. I just wondered if - when you are on a mission - you vow to have little contact with the opposite gender?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!