Wednesday, February 18, 2009

WFMW: Better Shots with a Point n' Shoot


(This marks the last time that WFMW will be hosted by Shannon at Rocks In My Dryer. She has handed the torch off to Kristen of We are THAT Family. A big THANK YOU to Shannon, and HELLO to Kristen!)

My tip for the week has to do with flash photography. I take pictures of my kids whenever I see them doing something I want to remember...and those moments aren't always in fabulous daylight conditions! As I've played around with my camera, I've amde some discoveries about how to make evening shots of the kids look less "flashy" and washed out.

When taking a picture, it's great to make your subject fill the whole frame, but if you're using a flash, make good use of your camera's zoom feature! My camera (a small Canon point n' shoot) has a zoom function, and an additional digital zoom. I've found that by using the flash, and the zoom together, I can get decent shots without a big white shining in the middle of the subject's forehead!



(Standing close, with a flash, in a dim room)


(Standing further away, still with a flash, and using the camera's zoom.)
If you must capture memories after sunset, make the best of the situation!

Make sure to head over to Rocks In My Dryer to see all the other great tips!!

1 comment:

  1. Great tips! I do need photography help! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!