Tuesday, March 10, 2009

American Idol: Week 4

Woohoo! It's time for the Top 13! Two are going home tomorrow.

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I distinctly recall saying before that singers should leave Michael ALONE. His songs are too distinct...too HIS. Wishing them the BEST of luck tonight!

1. Lil Rounds (The Way You Make Me Feel) - Hmm...she's got this kind of swingy R&B/gospel feel to the song. So far, so good! Thank goodness they let Lil kick off the night. Her big voice will get everyone pumped up...and it's working! The beginning was a little safe but, by the end, she found her groove. (Ooh...Randy calls it R&B/blues. I was close.)

2. Scott MacIntire (Keep the Faith) Ooh...look at him and his piano! I don't think I know this song, but it's good for him. It's a little bit big for his voice. He's got the soul, but not quite the chops to back it up. It's definitely an improvement from no piano, though. The falsetto is a bit rough, but OH how proud am I of this boy?! The crowd loves him...he can do no wrong! I think Kara hit it on the head - he's about his message not necessarily his chops. (Ooh, and Simon, take THAT - this album was the biggest selling hit in Norway. Umm...ok. Thanks, Paula.)

3. Danny Gokey (PYT) Now, THAT is a great falsetto. I love this guy's voice, but I'm surprised they've got him this early in the line-up. He's not letting the stage control him...he just makes me smile! I love that smokiness he's got in his voice tonight - it really caught me by surprise! His vocals were amazing. "A white guy with soul." A great job.

4. Michael Sarver (You Are Not Alone) Hmm...it's a bit pitchy. Lo Gung doesn't agree - he thinks it's the way he's singing. Either way...it's not working for me. I love him, but...that just didn't do it for me. Not the right song.

5. Jasmine Murray (I'll Be There) This didn't blow me away. She's got a great voice for a 17 year old. Reminds me of Jordin Sparks a little. The big notes were good...it just "wasn't that bad." (Thanks, Randy.)

6. Kris Allen (Remember The Time) First off, his look...he looks nice, but it's a bit casual, you know? Like you'd see him hanging out in the Quad at school, not on one of the biggest stages in America! The song is great for his current life situation (married 5 months). It sounds like he's SHOUTING in parts.

7. Allison Iraheta (Give Into Me) She's got her own spin on this...and I'm lovin' on her new haircut...and that VOICE. Good grief - this girl can sing! The song gets a little forced at times...like she can't quite find the groove. She does have a great handle on the stage.

8. Anoop Desai (Beat It) (Uh-oh...kiss of death. Don't EVER go up and sing your Favorite Song. Good luck with that.) He's workin' the crowd. The song is a bit big for his voice...and did I just hear his voice crack?! I love me some Desai, but I think if he does get through, it will be on personality and the popularity of this song. I don't know who he is as an artist.

9. Jorge Nunez (Never Could Say Goodbye) This is hard for me - this style of slinky, inky song just bugs me. He makes me smile, though. I wonder - if he makes an album, is this his style? A kind of lounge-lizard-esque love-song-singin'...schtick? I think the judges agree with me.

10. Megan Joy Corkrey (Rockin' Robin) (Girlfriend looks like a box of Valentine's chocolates! And her baby is another "bubba!" Can I get a woot!) Ok, is this cheating? Seriously - this isn't originally Jackson 5, is it? She's super cute, and the song fits her perfectly. It's fun, it's quirky...it's a breath of fresh air.

11. Adam Lambert (Black & White) First off, I've always loved this guy's look. Go ahead and hate me...I think it has something to do with the fact that he looks like a stand-in for the Goo Goo Dolls. He's got a ton of energy in this song...and Lo Gung is dying next to me. He doesn't like Adam, and it's driving him NUTS that he's doing so well. Ha!

12. Matt Giraud (Human Nature) I forget how GOOD this kid's piano chops are! I actually like this a lot better than the original. (Remember my dislike of the slinky, inky stuff? He's taken it out of that realm...which is a Good Thing!) He proved that he deserves to be there.

13. Alexis Grace (Dirty Diana) This is the first time I am seeing what all the buzz is about. I'm lovin' this! This song is perfect for her blue-sy style. The end was a bit rough - just that last note, and the song seems to get away from her in spots - but that performance was HOT.

The rules change this week, guys, if you want to leave your predictions - tell me who you think is going home tomorrow.

Go!

4 comments:

  1. i don't have tv. is there any way to watch it online?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Anoop missed his mark.

    I have never hated someone for being beautiful, but seriously Megan Joy?! Did you see that picture with her in curlers?! What would it be like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jasmine, Jorge, or Anoop dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am surprised that Anoop didn't go home. Oh, and yes, you can watch the show at ch131.com. They have a lot of shows there.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!