Ooh...Country Week! I'm looking forward to tonight. Let's get started, shall we?
1. Michael Sarver (Aint Goin' Down)-Ooh, Michael is shining tonight, folks. I almost wish he'd stop walking around...the pace of his slow meander doesn't match the energy of the song. It's like someone trying to pat their stomach and rub their head for the first time - he's gettin' 'er done, but...both actions would benefit from the lack of the other!
2. Allison Iraheta (Blame It On Your Heart) - I'm groovin' on this look for her! Of course she sounds good..she always does. Something about this reminds me of...I don't know. A Prom singer from an 80's movie? It was good, but somehow not exciting. Not her BEST, but it's a great job. She's got her own standard.
3. Kris Allen (Make You Feel My Love) - Kid is a great ballad singer, but I'm a little bored. Not much going on in the melody.
4. Lil Rounds (Independence Day) - The beginning was a little...out of voice, but I'm getting chills on her chorus...I love Lil Rounds voice and her soul. She doesn't have to sing R&B to have her heart and soul show through, and that's the sign of a great singer.
5. Adam Lambert (Ring of Fire) - Ooh, wow. I mean, definite props for being original, but I've got...chills, and not in a good way. Something about this seems really...dirty somehow? Adam's got a killer voice, and he nailed his take on the song, but it really didn't do it for me. Lo Gung sez, "It's creepy! Creepy, creepy, creepy."
6. Scott MacIntyre (Wild Angels) - First off, to whoever introduced this boy to hair gel - THANK YOU. The Frizzy was pretty distracting. The beginning started off slow. Low isn't his strong point, but - oh my goodness- the chorus. Way to pick it up, Scott! This boy's got a gift, and he loves to share it.
7. Alexis Grace (Jolene) - Does anyone else see the irony in this? No? OK, from Day 1, I've thought that Miss Alexis looked like Dolly Parton...and now she's singing a Dolly song? Love it! She did a good job - she always does - but the high notes were rough for me. Also, one thing about her technique. (Putting on my Voice Teacher hat.) Her breathing was crazy - your shoulders shouldn't be jumping up to hit your ears every time you breathe! Maybe she was nervous...but she used her breathing to add breaks, and she didn't need to. Too many breaths, too big, too shallow.
Alright. Moving on.
8. Danny Gokey (Jesus Take The Wheel) - Alright, the beginning was Rough, with a capital R. Too low, too shaky, too...just not there. And then...hello, power chorus! This is where Danny shines - a place where his heart can sing for him, and he can just sit back and let the magic happen.
(Paula, please stop talking. You're stuttering, and you're not making any sense.)
9. Anoop Desai (You Are Always On My Mind) - Here's why we loved Anoop at the beginning. We want to love him, not be Entertained, necessarily. He's got a beautiful soulfulness to his singing that just makes you want to grab your honey, turn down the lights, and start dancing. That was Good, so very Good, and I'm glad he FINALLY pulled it out and sang what got him here in the first place!
10. Megan Joy Corkrey (I Go Walking After Midnight) - (Wow...she looks like Reese Witherspoon, right? But, please, sweetie - no swingin' the shoulders tonight. Thanks.) I don't even know what to say! It's unique, it's all her...it was a little weird. It almost sounded...like...I don't know. Like three people were taking turns singing out of the same mouth! (Thanks, Kara, for pointing on that she's got the flu - that will help the publics opinion of her!) (Voice Teacher again - I always sang BEST, when I was in college, when I had a cold. Go figure!)
11. Matt Giraud (So Small) - I'm just not feeling this. He's a little flat in spots, and I'm having a REALLY hard time understanding him. Is that a fake country accent? Obviously the crowd loves it, and the Piano Skilz might get him through. The judges don't agree with me, Lo Gung doesn't agree with me...but I just didn't feel it tonight. Sorry.
So, who goes home? Discuss.
I am out of my league here. I haven't ever watched it:)
ReplyDeleteI hate to say it, but I think Michael Sarver is going home... it wasn't good enough to make up for The Attitude he showed to the judges. I'm sure I'm wrong, but he's my pick. And, now that I mention it, what was UP with all the Arguing with the Fab Four by So Many of the contestants????? Danny and Anoop handled themselves well with the constructive criticism... everyone else - can we say Big Ego?
ReplyDeleteAwww. We just decided AI had to go. Too many things jammed into too little time. Something had to give. Sad :(
ReplyDeleteI think it may be Scott or Michael. Scott was same old, same old... I hate it when they sing Garth, someone else did it awhile ago too and it wasn't good then either! Too bad, I like him.
ReplyDeleteOh, and one more thing... what is up with Lil's strapless, frilly tops?
ReplyDeletebeing from memphis, i find myself pulling for lil (over alexis.. but i have a sort of personal reason to not be pulling for her). when i was reading your list i couldn't even remember who matt was. that's sad. i was probably also on facebook or trolling the net, tho. :) and i soooo hear you on megan's shoulders. i was hoping someone was gonna tell her to QUIT already!!
ReplyDeleteso glad you stopped by - i forgot how much i love your blog!! yes, little boys are wonderful, aren't they?? :) i'm just not sure i'll ever get to see how great baby girls are either!!
ok, back to AI!!