Tuesday, March 10, 2009

When Mama goes sledding...

*Edited to include the During pics. See the bottom of this post.

Kids, gather 'round and listen to a story. It's a story about snow. It's a story about snow, and a Mom. It's a story about snow, a Mom, a sled and a toddler. Oh, and a tree. A really, really gnarly tree.


The last time I took BBJ out in the snow was when my in-laws were here. Lo Gung had just finished shoveling the driveway, and he convinced me that it would be Great Fun to take BBJ out sledding in the backyard. (I have mentioned the STEEP GRADE of my yard, right? And how that steep hill goes straight down into a lake? Keep that in mind, alright?)


Well, we got all bundled up, sat down on our new sled and away we went! Daddy was inside, snapping pictures as we went down...down...turned around...and then sideways...and faster...and I realized a little too late that we were about to slam into a low sort of thicket-y tree!


Luckily we had turned around - I caught a low lying branch right in the middle of my back...and we were WEDGED underneath. Because of the hill, and BBJ in my lap, I couldn't really get out...and BBJ was crying, so I was worried about her. (The "impact" had knocked her boot off! She was most displeased.)


We got out, after Lo Gung came out to help us. There we were - my bum wedged under a branch, facing downhill. A toddler in my lap who's mad because her shoe is 2 feet behind us in the snow. It was like a BBJ taco!


(After we got inside, I rubbed some magic Lion Oil on my back, and the bruise was gone that night. Thanks for asking. Ever heard of Lion Oil? Maybe we'll talk about that for one of our China Talk posts. :-D Crazy stuff.)


The next run took me almost into the lake (I had ditched Teah at this point - too dangerous to ride with me!). I missed falling onto the lake because I hit a bump and flew off the sled instead.


I'm JUST. SO. GRACEFUL.


The end.
(Here's the track we carved on our fateful sledding trip. Totally gnarly tree, right?)



*Edited to include photos of the During.

Loading up the sled:



Impending Doom:

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you do need to just stay inside and enjoy the view!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I love that you went again and I'm most intrigued about the Lion Oil.

    I must say you do have a fabulous yard! Although perhaps it was designed more with teenage boys than 2 year old girls in mind ;P Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean your husband didn't run out and take photos of the scene? You paint a painful, yet hilarious picture. I scream all the way down our not very steep sledding hill. You are hard core :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!