Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day, From a Toddler's Perspective

This post might be more for me than for you...but I'm OK with that.


On Monday night, after spending the entire day together (including, but not limited to, a trip to the mall, a ride in the kayak and a grill on the deck), we decided to hold a short, lesson-centered Family Home Evening. (FHE is a church-suggested event where every Monday evening, all family members stay home and participate in a short lesson, followed by a treat. Well, I suppose the treat's optional...but we like to think it's not.)

Anywhoo, our lesson (surprise, surprise) was on Memorial Day. I racked my brain for a moment, trying to figure out how to give a lesson on Memorial Day...to a two year old who doesn't know what a soldier is, who has no idea she lives in America, and who's never seen a grave.

This is pretty much how it went:
Me: JyuJyu, where do you live? Say "America."
BBJ: Amer'ca!

M:Say America
BBJ: A-KAAAAY! Al-RIIIIIIGHT! (She's really, really "tonal" and if a word sounds like another word...well, she just might forget what she's doing, and start screaming the new word. We're cool like that.)


M:Say Memorial Day
BBJ: Memor'y Day! (Fairly appropriate, right?)

M:Say I....love...
BBJ: Daddy!! (Methinks she spied the banana cake that he was preparing to serve.)

Daddy:Why do you like Memorial Day?
BBJ: I want cake!


And there you have it, folks - out of the mouths of babes. Memorial Day is really all about Memories, and Daddy and CAKE. Did she miss anything?

5 comments:

  1. The sales. But, you can always teach her that part next year:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's only appropriate to incorporate cake into ALL holidays. And even non-holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all holidays should really be about cake

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to teach her the chant "Dad is great, gives us chocolate cake." That's what we used to sing to my dad.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!