It is a rare day on a blue moon Sunday when Lo Gung will give me a suggestion for what to cook, let alone send me the recipe for it! So, when I received an e-mail from him, with a link to Martha Stewart's "Puffy Maine Pancakes", and a request to make them for Saturday morning's breakfast...I gave my word to do my best.
Umm...well, I DID do my best. I think. I'm not really sure. See, the original recipe asked you to make your pancakes in a 4-inch crepe pan.
Yes. They make crepe pans in different sizes. Who knew?!
There is the concession that if you do not have a 4-inch crepe pan at your disposal, a 12-inch cast-iron skillet would be just fine.
I don't have one of those, either.
What I DO have is a metal 9x13 pan. That'll work, right?
Trying to be fancy, I used my homemade butter to grease the pan...those are the dark brown splotches you can see. My butter had a lot of buttermilk still in it, and it browned when I melted it.
Other than looking like a topographical map of...someplace really bumpy, it was tasty. And small.
I mean, how is two eggs and a half cup of flour supposed to feed us breakfast?!
Anyhow...there you go. A Breakfast Fail for the day. Bon Appetit!

Wait a minute... you make your own butter?!?! Seriously? What - you churn it and everything? I stand in awe.
ReplyDeleteYou mean I'm not the only one who fails at making these oven pancakes??!?
ReplyDeleteThe last time I tried to make German Pancakes, they came out flat and unappetizing. And I had guests over too. Oh yeah, never experiment when cooking for guests. That's another story.
I use this German Pancake recipe from "Taste of Heaven" ward cookbook:
ReplyDelete(It does go a little flat after you take it out, but I think that is the nature of it) My kids love 'em.
6 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp. sugar
dash of salt
1/2 cube butter
Melt butter in 9x13 pan in 400' oven. Beat other ingreds. Pour in and bake for 20 min. Yummo!
Max, tell us how you made your butter. A churn? : )
ReplyDeleteSu, I have that tendency too. I always try out new recipes on company... I guess it's because I am willing to take the time when I'm having people over to put more time into cooking. Not the best idea!
I stopped reading at "homemade butter." Seriously?! How?!
ReplyDeleteSeriously NOT breakfast fail! It's supposed to be puffy some places and not others, and the brown butter taste is the BEST PART! And I'm a serious breakfast snob. Did you like the way it tasted? The way the powdered sugar just melted into the butter, making its own little icing... The soft juxtaposed with crunch, brown butter with sweet.... mmmmmm
ReplyDeleteYou're awesome, Max. Just in case you want to try again, I just bought myself a 12 in cast iron skillet. Used it to make crepes this morning at Caden's request. Nothing fancy like yours, just the recipe I normally use. I love that you are willing to try anything and dare to change the recipe however you want... I'm certain you will have your own bakeshop or craft store one day (outside of your etsy one, of course). So what did Will think of them?
ReplyDelete