Tuesday, September 1, 2009

China Talk Tuesday: Iced Tea


Does that not look absolutely lovely?

What you are looking at is a pot full of water, rock sugar and dried chrysanthemum flowers.

Or, as we call it, 菊花茶 (guk faa chaah).

I'm sure I've mentioned Chrysanthemum tea here before...but it definitely bears repeating. This "tea" isn't really tea at all, as it has no tea leaves in it. Usually served warm and unsweetened, it's the perfect accompaniment for a dim sum* brunch. However, it is also a favorite drink of young kids in Hong Kong, purchased from the corner OK Mart or 7-11 in small yellow juice boxes. These juice boxes are highly sweetened versions of the dim sum favorite, but chrysanthemum is chrysanthemum - the sugar can't really negate the healthful effects of these flowers. (Health benefits include...well, it counteracts "yiht hei", which is a whole 'nother post. Basically, if you don't get enough sleep, and you eat too many french fries and salty foods and you start to get a sore throat/zits/canker sores...you're Yiht Hei. Drink some chrysanthemum tea, and you'll feel a lot better!)

The pot you see simmering above was a mixture of one pot water, 1/2 cups dried chrysanthemum flowers and one large knob of rock sugar (about 1 cup?). It was simmered for about ten minutes, strained and then chilled. Everyone loves this tea, from BBJ to visiting guests. Totally refreshing on a hot day, this is a great iced tea to have on hand!

If you'd like to see my recipe, go here.

*Dim Sum is a classic Hong Kong tradition where a group sits down at a large round table and requests small plates of bite sized treats from passing carts. Literally translated as "Little Bits of Heart", each plate will contain three or four bites of something delicious, to be shared among the table. This could be anything from small shrimp meatballs wrapped in translucent noodle skins to squares of golden, sticky steamed cakes, drizzled with sweetened condensed milk. Each plate is tallied on the tab, and the bill is presented at the end of the meal. The plates are generally only a few dollars apiece, so the bill is never too hefty.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

  1. Oh, sooooooo yummy. Can you make me some tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet most Americans would look at that pot and freak out! Seriously. Looks good to me. I've had chrysanthemum tea and love it.
    Now, to make mine, take out the chrysanthemum, the sugar. Add black tea. Voila!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So a glass of this would fix my maladjusted body? Pour up a glass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum- sounds like good stuff. Where would one purchase chrysantheum leaves?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nevermind- I clicked on the recipe link and figured it out- I'll have to try this. I've been feeling a little yiht hei, or maybe it's just because I am nine months pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great. And now I've got "Yum Yum Dim Sum" running through my head. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds great. I will have to fix some for my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Y'know, I do get a sore throat when I haven't slept enough. Where do you get chrysanthemum flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  9. And it probably smells so good too!
    I wish I could get some flowers without the 45 min drive to Chinatown :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks wonderful! Talk about a refreshing summertime drink, yum. Okay, now can you share with us where to get the flowers and even the rock sugar? Possibly an on-line source? I am sure our little tiny town doesn't carry such goodies and a trip into Seattle or Portland just isn't in the cards right now!

    Cheers, Kiy

    ReplyDelete
  11. ummm...actually...YUMMM...and my zits are clamoring for me to try this, especially as I don't get enough sleep. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!