Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Tip on Toddlers and Infants Playing Together

Siu Jeun is having a Cranky Day. It is only slightly less cranky than yesterday's Cranky Day. He developed a fever last night, and Tylenol was administered. 20 minutes later, post bath, he was all giggles and smiles. I silently thanked the makers of Tylenol for my happy baby. When he lazily reached up, stroked his sister's face and giggled....I realized there was a good chance my boy was loopy, not just grateful for the pain relief. Oh well - either way, he wasn't cranky anymore!
I have two kids.
One of them is 2.
One of them is 8 months.
One of them doesn't understand "rules", especially if they are created by a two year old.
One of them doesn't understand that the other one doesn't understand the rules.
Do you see where I'm going with this?
By the time Lo Gung gets home at night, I'm fried. I've been refereeing for approximately 11.5 hours. It starts with BBJ crying, every morning, because her father has gone to work. Again. It ends when her father comes in the door and BBJ screams, "Daddy!!!" Sometimes dinner is almost ready. Sometimes not. I've fed and cajoled and nursed and tucked in and sung songs and read books and threatened and punished...and I'm just done.
However, I think I have found something that will help my situation immensely.
It's called Glass. Ever heard of it?
Wonderful stuff. The two year old can order and rant and rave and make rules...

...and the 8 month old can calmly ignore, drool, dribble and touch any toys he can find.

Life is good. As an experiment, next time I'm going to put both kids on one side of the glass, and me on the other. What do you think?
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

  1. Can I get Glass too?
    Works for a 3 year old and a 5 year old, right?

    Very funny post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you found the window markers! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. something like this I imagine:
    http://pst.rbma.com/content/Baby_Blues?date=20090901

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm that didn't work. Baby Blues 9/1/2009

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your fightin' spirit, lovey! :) But when I hear stories like this, I know why I have one kid. ;) You are definitely my hero. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too cute! Thanks for the good advice by the way, worked like a charm (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be sure you stay on the side with the kitchen. All the good stuff is in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And if that doesn't work, you can always just lock yourself in the bathroom. Turning on the shower drowns out most of the screaming on the other side ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can just imagine the look of horror on our neighbors' faces when they see our kids up on the ledge scribbling on our huge window panes, heh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just make sure you stay near the fridge... or bring a cooler with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. good idea! i should try that next time i'm writing at a cafe and people start having inane conversations next to me. "here - draw on this for awhile. it will amuse you."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man, I have days like that and we have just the one. Of course, I'm the one making the rules and the 2 year old is the one ignoring and going on as she darned well pleases. I also think I am the one doing more of the temper tantrums!

    I keep reminding myself that all too soon she will be in school and I will miss these days. But by the end of the day, I am too pooped to care.

    Funny, this must be the daddy-stage as Miss Emi has the same problem with daddy leaving each day too. Daddy says good-bye and does kisses, and then Miss Emi will wave bye to me, grab Bear and follow him as close as possible. She never quite gets out the door though. :)

    P.S. I loved TM's suggestion!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!